Determination of plutonium, americium and curium in environmental meterials
A sequential radiochemical scheme for the separation of Pu and Am (along with Cm) from environmental materials is given. Optimum conditions for coprecipitation of these elements on bismuth phosphate and the influence of Fe and Th content of the sample on the recovery of Am were studied. Internal tracers242Pu and243Am were used as tracers for Pu and Am, respectively, and estimates were made by alpha-spectrometry. Average recoveries obtained from sea water were 85% and 77% for Pu and Am, respectively. Lower recoveries (<50%) were obtained for Am in sediments.
KeywordsPlutonium Americium LaF3 Ammonium Thiocyanate Sediment Extract
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Transuranium nuclides in the environment, Proc. Symp., San Francisco, jointly organized by USERDA and IAEA, 1975.Google Scholar
- 2.P. W. KREY et al., Mass Isotopic Composition of Global Fallout Pu in Soil, IAEA-SM-199/39, 1976.Google Scholar
- 3.K. C. PILLAI et al., Studies on Pu in the Marine Environment, BARC/I-462, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.J. A. HETHERINGTON et al., Environmental and Public Health Consequences of the Controlled Disposal of Transuranic Elements to the Marine Environment, IAEA-SM/199/11, 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.C. W. THOMAS, R. W. PERKINS, Transuranium Elements in the Atmosphere, HASL-291, 1975, p. 87.Google Scholar
- 6.V. T. BOWEN, Transuranic Elements in Marine Environments, HASL-291, 1975, p. 57.Google Scholar
- 10.K. C. PILLAI, Determination of Plutonium in the Marine Environment, Reference Methods for Marine Radioactivity Studies II, Technical Report Series No. 169.Google Scholar
- 11.R. BOJANOWSKI, H. D. LIVINGSTON, A Procedure for Analysis of Americium in Marine Environmental Samples, Contribution No. 2970 from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.Google Scholar
- 13.Reference Methods for Marine Radioactivity Studies II, Technical Report Series No. 169.Google Scholar
- 15.H. D. LIVINGSTON et al., Analytical Procedures for Transuranic Elements in Sea Water and Marine Sediments, Paper presented at American Chemical Society Annual Meeting, Atlantic City, 1974.Google Scholar
- 16.V. M. MATKAR et al., Plutonium and Americium Measurement in the Marine Environment of West Coast of India, (work carried out under IAEA Research Contract 1954/RB/R1).Google Scholar