Search for uranium in high purity silicon
- 33 Downloads
Detection of small quantities of uranium in silicon wafers has been carried out by neutron activation followed by observation of fission product140La. Irradiations of about one week were made at a flux of 6·1014n cm−2 s−1 and the activity of the 1596 keV line was determined. Counting rates of as low as 1 count per minute have been observed. This indicates uranium concentrations of about 5·1010 atoms per cubic centimeter of silicon or about 0.01 mg/g, assuming activity from other fissionable nuclides to be negligible.
KeywordsUranium Fission Product Uranium Concentration Float Zone High Purity Silicon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. C. MAY, M. H. WOODS, IEEE Trans. Elec. Dev., ED 26 (1979) 2.Google Scholar
- 2.D. S. YANEY, J. T. NELSON, L. H. VANSKIKE, IEEE Trans. Elec. Dev., ED 26 (1979) 10.Google Scholar
- 3.H. P. GIBBONS, J. D. PITTMAN, IEEE Proc. 29th Elect. Comp. Conf. (1979) 257.Google Scholar
- 4.J. A. KEENAN, R. D. DOBROTT, IEEE Proc. 29th Elect. Comp. Conf. (1979) 261.Google Scholar
- 5.D. BOULDIN, A. KUMAR, IEEE Proc. 29th Elect. Comp. Conf. (1979) 265.Google Scholar
- 6.S. W. LEVINE, IEEE Proc. 29th Elect. Comp. Conf. (1979) 268.Google Scholar
- 7.J. A. WOOLLEY, L. E. LAMAR, N. H. STRADLEY, D. M. HARSHBARGER, IEEE Proc. 29th Elect. Comp. Conf. (1979) 273.Google Scholar
- 8.J. E. RILEY, Jr., Anal. Chem., 53 (1981) 407.Google Scholar
- 9.D. P. BOULDIN, private comm., IBM Gen. Tech. Div., 1980.Google Scholar
- 10.D. P. BOULDIN, Proc. 23rd Conf. Anal. Chem. Engr. Tech. (1979) 31.Google Scholar
- 11.L. C. NORTHCLIFFE, R. F. SCHILLING, Nuclear Data Tables, 7 (1970) 233.Google Scholar