A simulation study of population interaction between the greenhouse whitefly,Trialeurodes vaporariorum Westwood (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) and the parasitoidEncarsia formosa Gahan (Hymenoptera: Aphelinidae) II. Simulation analysis of population dynamics and strategy of biological control
Simulation studies were performed to analyze factors affecting the population dynamics of the system with the greenhouse whitefly (Trialeurodes vaporariorum Westwood) and the parasitoidEncarsia formosa Gahan and to develop strategies for the introduction ofE. formosa. The reduction of parasitization efficiency with an increase in parasitoid density promotes the stability of the system, which coincides with the prediction from current theory. The stability of the system is also shown to be promoted by the effect of host feeding. The population levels of the system are remarkably suppressed with an increase in searching efficiency and a decrease in host oviposition. The control effect of the parasitoids is enhanced when the number of parasitoids is divided among many introductions. An optimal time, an optimal density ratio of parasitoids to hosts and optimal densities of hosts and parasitoids exist in the introduction programme of parasitoids.
KeywordsPopulation Change Equilibrium Level Population Interaction Adult Parasitoid Mature Larva
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burnett, T. (1960) Effects of initial densities and periods of infestation of the growth-forms on a host and parasite population.Can. J. Zool. 38: 1063–1077.Google Scholar
- Ekbom, B. S. (1977) Development of a biological control program for greenhouse whiteflies (Trialeurodes vaporariorum Westwood) using its parasiteEncarsia formosa (Gahan) in Sweden.Z. ang. Ent. 84: 145–154.Google Scholar
- Foster, G. N. andA. Kelly (1978) Initial density of glasshouse whitefly (Trialeurodes vaporariorum (Westwood), Hemiptera) in relation to the success of suppression byEncarsia formosa Gahan (Hymenoptera) on glasshouse tomatoes.Hort. Res. 18: 55–62.Google Scholar
- Hassell, M. P. (1978)The Dynamics of Arthropod Predator-Prey Systems. Princeton University press, Princeton.Google Scholar
- Jervis, M. A. andN. A. C. Kidd (1986) Host-feeding strategies in hymenopteran parasitoids.Biol. Rev. 61: 395–434.Google Scholar
- Yano, E. (1988) Population studies of the greenhouse whitefly, (Trialeurodes vaporariorum Westwood) and the parasitoidEncarsia formosa Gahan.Bull. Natl. Res. Inst. Veg. Ornam. Plants & Tea A.2: 143–200. (in Japanese with English summary).Google Scholar
- Yano, E. (1989) A simulation study of population interaction between the greenhouse whitefly,Trialeurodes vaprrariorum Westwood (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae), and the parasitoidEncarsia formosa Gahan (Hymenoptera: Aphelinidae). I. Description of the model.Res. Popul. Ecol. 31: 73–88.Google Scholar