Temperature profile and depth of surface melting of a metal irradiated by a high-current ion beam
We have numerically solved the nonlinear thermal conductivity equation using temperature-dependent thermal coefficients to study the evolution of the temperature profile produced in a metal irradiated by a high-current ion beam. We studied the propagation of the thermal front and the heating rate of the metal surface as functions of ion beam characteristics. We determined the dependence of the maximum heating temperature and penetration depth on the maximum value of the ion beam current.
KeywordsSurface Melting Melting Depth Thermal Conduction Equation Maximum Heating Temperature Maximum Heat Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. M. Bystritskii and A. N. Didenko,High-Power Ion Beams [in Russian], Énergoizdat, Moscow (1984).Google Scholar
- 2.A. N. Didenko, A. E. Ligachev, and I. B. Kurakin,Interaction of Charged Particle Beams with Surfaces of Metals and Alloys [in Russian], Énergoizdat, Moscow (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.V. I. Boiko and V. V. Evstigneev,Introduction to the Physics of Interactions of High-Current Charged Particle Beams with Matter [in Russian], Énergoizdat, Moscow (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.S. A. Korenev and A. Perty, Preprint OIYaI No. E18-95-520, OIYaI, Dubna (1995).Google Scholar
- 5.I. K. Kikoina (editor),Tables of Physical Constants [in Russian], Moscow (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.A. A. Samarskii,Theory of Difference Schemes [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.Ya. B. Zel'dovich and Yu. P. Raizer,Physics of Shock Waves and High-Temperature Hydrodynamic Phenomena [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.G. Carslaw and D. Yeager,Thermal Conductivity of Solids [Russian translation], Nauka, Moscow (1964).Google Scholar
- 9.N. M. Belyaev and A. A. Ryadno,Methods of the Theory of Thermal Conduction [in Russian], Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow (1982). Vols. 1 and 2.Google Scholar
- 10.V. I. Mazhurkin and A. A. Samokhin, in: A. A. Samarskii, S. P. Kurdyumov, and V. I. Mazhukin (editors),Mathematical Modeling [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1987).Google Scholar
- 12.H. A. Davis, et al, Annual Report of Los Alamos National Laboratory (1995).Google Scholar
- 13.R. G. Stinnet, et al.,Proc. Materials Research Society Symp. on “Materials Synthesis and Processing Using Ion Beams”, Boston (1994), Vol. 136, p. 521.Google Scholar