The determination of radium-226 and radium-228 in soils and plants, using radium-225 as a yield tracer
Recovery of226Ra in analysis is determined using225Ra separated by anion exchange from229Th and233U. Radium is coprecipitated with barium, and purified by ion exchange.226Ra and217At (decay product of225Ra) are measured by α-spectrometry.228Ra is determined both by β-counting228Ac and225Ac separated from228Ra and225Ra, and by α-counting its daughters after the decay of225Ra. Sources for α-spectrometry are prepared by electrodeposition (molecular plating).
KeywordsRadium Straw Decay Product Anion Exchange Column Ammonium Acetate Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. H. Harley, Health and Safety Laboratory, Manual of Standard Procedures. USAEC, NYO-4700, 1957.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Allison, R. W. Moore, A. E. Richardson, D. T. Peterson, A. F. Voigt,Nucleonics, 12 (1954) No. 5, 32.Google Scholar
- 5.W. M. Henry, B. A. Loveridge, J. R. Weaver, UKAEA, AERE-R 4460, 1956.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Merten, G. Wortley, Proc. Symp. on the Determination of Radionuclides in Materials of Biological Origin, UKAEA, AERE-R 5474, 1967.Google Scholar
- 9.K. A. Smith, B. O. Bartlett,J. Radioanal. Chem., 4 (1970) 383.Google Scholar