A severe storm in the Adriatic Sea has been hindcast with two meteorological models, respectively at the local (LAMBO) and global scale (T213). We have found that the increase of resolution is not paralleled by a corresponding increase of the overall accuracy. This is particularly true when the wind fields are used to evaluate the corresponding wave fields. The LAMBO data have then been used to validate a simpler wind model that, when properly tuned to the specific basin and starting from the correct pressure fields, is capable to supply surface wind fields of acceptable quality.
PACS 92.10.KpSea-air energy exchange processes
PACS 92.60.GnWinds and their effects
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bertotti L., Cavaleri L. andTescaro N.,Long term wave hindcast in the Adriatic Sea, this issue, p. 91.Google Scholar
- Cavaleri L.,An instrumental system for detailed wind wave study,Nuovo Cimento C,2 (1979) 288.Google Scholar
- Cavaleri L., Bertotti L. andTescaro N.,Long term wind hindcast in the Adriatic Sea, this issue, p. 67.Google Scholar
- De Boni M., Cavaleri L. andRusconi A.,The Italian wave measurement network,Proceedings of the XXIII ICCE Conference, Venice, edited byB. L. Edge, Vol.2 (ASCE, New York, N.Y.) 1993, pp. 1840–1850.Google Scholar
- Dell'Osso L.,Some results from the ECMWF spectral limited area model, LAM Newsletter (Deutsche Wetterdienst, Offenbach) 1990, pp. 129–143.Google Scholar
- Lazic I. andTelenta B.,Documentation of the UB/NMC eta model, WMO/TMRP Tech. Rept. 40 (1990).Google Scholar
- Simmons A.,Development of the operational 31-level T213 version of the ECMWF forcast model,ECMF Newsletter,56 (1991) 3.Google Scholar
- WAMDI Group (S. Hasselmann, K. Hasselmann, E. Bauer, P. A. E. M. Janssen, G. J. Komen, L. Bertotti, P. Lionello, A. Guillaume, V. C. Cardone, J. A. Greenwood, M. Reistad, L. Zambresky andJ. A. Ewing)The WAM model—a third generation ocean wave prediction model, J. Phys. Oceanogr.,18 (1988) 1775.CrossRefGoogle Scholar