PONStm is a basis which satisfies all of the fundamental properties of the Walsh functions (each element is piecewise constant, takes on only the values ±1, and can be efficiently computed via a fast transform) plus three additional properties that are false for the Walsh functions: PONS is optimal with respect to a global uncertainty principle; all PONS elements have uniformly bounded crest factors; and all PONS elements are QMF’s. In 1991, Ingrid Daubechies asked whether there exists a smooth basis satisfying the global uncertainty principle property. In this article we show how to transform any basis into another basis by applying the PONS construction, thereby providing an affirmative answer to this question.
Math subject classificationsprimary 42A65 secondary 41A30 41A58
Keywords and phrasesPONS Walsh functions crest factor uncertainty principle Shapiro polynomial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benedetto, J., Byrnes, J.S., and Shapiro, H.S. (1992). Wavelet auditory models and irregular sampling,Monthly status report, February.Google Scholar
- Benedetto, J.J. (1990). Uncertainty principle inequalities and spectrum estimation, In Byrnes, J.S. and Byrnes, J.L., Eds.,Recent Advances in Fourier Analysis and its Applications, NATO ASI. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Budisin, S.Z., Popovic, B.M., and Indjin, L.M. (1987). Designing radar signals using complementary sequences,Proc. IEE Conf. RADAR 87, 593–597, October.Google Scholar
- Byrnes, J.S. and Byrnes, J.L. (1989). Recent advances in Fourier analysis and its applications, inProceedings of the NATO Advanced Study Institute, pgs. ix, 79–142, July.Google Scholar
- Byrnes, J.S. (1994). Quadrature mirror filters, low crest factor arrays, functions achieving optimal uncertainty principle bounds, and complete orthonormal sequences—a unified approach,Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, 261–266.Google Scholar
- Byrnes, J.S., Ramalho, M.A., Ostheimer, G.K., and Gertner, I. (1999). Discrete one dimensional signal processing method and apparatus using energy spreading coding, U.S. Patent number 5,913,186.Google Scholar
- Byrnes, J.S., Saffari, B., and Shapiro, H.S. (1996). Energy spreading and data compression using the Prometheus orthonormal set, inProc. 1996 IEEE Signal Processing Conf., Loen, Norway.Google Scholar
- Golay, M.J.E. (1949). Multislit spectrometry,J. Optical Society Am.,39, 437.Google Scholar
- Shapiro, H.S. (1958). A power series with small partial sums,Notices of the AMS,6(3), 366.Google Scholar
- Saffari, B. History of Shapiro polynomials and Golay sequences, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Shapiro, H.S. (1951). Extremal problems for polynomials and power series, Sc.M. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar