Manifestations of the Black Sea undercurrent in the density and hydrostatic pressure fields
- 15 Downloads
Vertical kinematic structure of the geostrophic currents has been found to be correlated to the distribution of seawater density and hydrostatic pressure over depth. The conditions necessary for the existence of the undercurrent have been defined. On this basis, hydrological survey data compiled by the Marine Hydrophysical Institute in the Black Sea have been treated. Examples are given, which support theoretical deductions about the possible existence of the undercurrent beneath the Black Sea rim current. The undercurrent's parameters have been determined, along with the depths of the upper and lower boundaries and the mainstream velocity.
KeywordsHydrostatic Pressure Current Velocity Depth Level Marine Hydrophysical Institute Seawater Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blatov, A. S., Bulgakov, N. P. and Ivanov, V. A.Variability of Hydrophysical Fields in the Black Sea Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat (1984).Google Scholar
- 2.Bulgakov, S. N., Korotaev, G. K. and Whitehead, J. A. Theoretical and laboratory modelling of the Black Sea large-scale circulation. In:Laboratory Modelling of Dynamical Processes in Oceans. 17th Annual Workshop. Moscow: Inst. Probl. Mekh. (1993), p. 22.Google Scholar
- 3.Bulgakov, S. N. and Korotaev, G. K. Prediction and observation of the buoyancy flux induced by a deep undercurrent in the Black Sea. In:The Coastal Ocean in the Global Change Perspective. 26th Int. Liege Colloquium on Ocean Hydrodynamics. Liege (1994), p. 8.Google Scholar
- 4.Bulgakov, N. P., Dotsenko, S. F. and Kushnir, V. M.,Hydrophysical Investigations of the Caribbean Sea. Kiev: Naukova Dumka (1991).Google Scholar
- 5.Report on Cruise 15 of the R/V Trepang. Sevastopol: MHI archives (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.Report on Cruise 17 of the R/V Professor Kolesnikov. Sevastopol: MHI archives (1987).Google Scholar
- 7.Tolmazin, D.Ocean in Motion. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat (1976).Google Scholar
- 8.Zubov, N. N.Collected Papers on Oceanology. Moscow: Voenizdat (1955).Google Scholar