On the production mechanism of MF-HF radiopulses associated with large extensive air showers
- 18 Downloads
The existing theories on radio-emission from extensive air showers (EAS) are inadequate to explain the observed high fields associated with the emission of LF-MF-HF radiopulses. One of the attempts has been to explain the phenomenon in the light of the transition radiation (TR) mechanism from the excess negative charge of EAS on striking the ground. However, experimental data are very meagre. In order to concretise the theoretical basis of LF-MF-HF emission, experimental investigations on different aspects of radio-emission are essential. The present paper reports the experimental studies on radio-emission at some preselected frequencies (LF-HF) using a sophisticated data acquisition system. Results on i) variation of field strength with age parameter (S) for different primary energies (E p) and different core distance (R), ii) lateral distribution of field strength for differentE p andS and iii) frequency spectrum of radio-emission, are presented and analysed in the light of the TR mechanism.
PACS 96.40Cosmic rays
PACS 94.40Cosmic-rays interactions with the Earth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Datta andK. M. Pathak:Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys.,28, 469 (1990).Google Scholar
- J. Nishimura:Proc. IXX ICRC,7, 308 (1985).Google Scholar
- P. Datta andK. M. Pathak:Proc. XXI ICRC,9, 218 (1990).Google Scholar
- G. K. D. Mazumdar, P. M. Kalita, T. C. Bardoloi andK. M. Pathak:Proc. Natl. Symp. Nucl. El and Ins, BARC, 637 (1989).Google Scholar
- M. Dolukhanov:Propagation of Radiowaves, revised from the 1965 Russian Edition (Moscow, MIR Publishers), chap. 1.Google Scholar
- T. Kaneko, N. Inoue, F. Kakimoto, K. Suga, N. Martinie, J. A. Zelaya, P. Miranda, L. Siles, D. Veramendi, H. Yoshu andK. Hagiwara:Proc. XVIII ICRC, Late Papers, Bangalore, India,11, 428 (1983).Google Scholar
- W. Galbraith:Extensive Air Showers (Butterworths, Scientific Publications, London), chap. 1.Google Scholar
- C. Castagnoli, G. Silvestro, P. Picchi andG. Verri:Nuovo Cimento,63, 373 (1969).Google Scholar