Investigation of the very heavy cosmic abundances at source estimated from balloon-borne passive-detector results over alice springs
- 14 Downloads
A detailed study on the relative abundances of very heavy elements of cosmic rays with charges 10≤Z≤28 in the interstellar medium has been estimated from the results obtained from the balloon-borne passive-detector experiments flown for 32 hours from Alice Springs. The recovered CR-39 (HCB) detectors were etched for 96 hours in 7.5N NaOH solution at 80°C. About 2126 elliptic etch pit cones were scanned from the 250 cm2 area of the track detector and the chemical abundances of elements with charges 10≤Z≤28 above 2 GeV/n have been estimated. We have adopted the charge-changing cross-sections calculated from the abrasion/ablation model after Norbury and duly fitted in the slab model to account for the loss of intensity due to nuclear fragmentation in the upper atmosphere. The predicted source composition is comparable with the derived result of Lezniak and Webber. Our result on (Sc−Cr)/Fe flux ratio at 6.52 GeV/n energy is in accord with the results derived from the leaky-box model.
KeywordsInterstellar Medium Track Detector Nuclear Emulsion Atmospheric Depth Bulk Etch Rate
- PACS 94.40
Cosmic-ray interactions with the Earth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Cowsik andL. W. Wilson:Proceedings of the XIV International Cosmic-Ray Conference, Munich, edited byK. Pinkau, Vol.2 (Munich, 1975), p. 659.Google Scholar
- Copenhagen-Saclay Collaboration for HEAO,COSPAR Meeting, Budapest 1981, edited byK. Pinkau,Adv. Space Res.,1, 173 (1981).Google Scholar
- J. W. Norbury: Private communication, (1992).Google Scholar
- T. H. Burnett, S. Dake, M. Fuki, J. C. Gregory, T. Hatashi, R. Holynski, J. Iwai, W. V. Jones, A. Jurak, J. J. Lord, O. Miyamura, H. Oda, T. Ogata, T. A. Parnell, T. Saito, T. Tabuki, Y. Takahashi, T. Tominaga, J. Watts, B. Wilczynska, R. J. Wilkes, W. Wolter andB. Wosiek:Proceedings of the International Symposium on Cosmic Rays and Particle Physics, Tokyo, March 19–23, 1984, edited byA. Ohsawa andT. Yuda, p. 468.Google Scholar
- M. Henkel, B. S. Acharya, U. Heinbach, W. Heinrich, A. Hesse, Ch. Koch B. Luzietti, A. Noll, M. Simon, H. O. Tittel, J. A. Esposito, R. E. Streitmatter, J. F. Ormes, V. K. Balasubrahmanyan, E. R. Christian andL. M. Barbier:Proceedings of the XXI International Cosmic Ray Conference, Adelaide, edited byR. J. Protheroe, vol.3, (University of Adelaide, Australia, 1990), p. 15.Google Scholar