Pre-cementation of deep shaft
- 67 Downloads
Pre-cementation or pre-grouting of deep shafts in South Africa is an established technique to improve safety and reduce water ingress during shaft sinking. The recent completion of several pre-cementation projects for shafts deeper than 1000m has once again highlighted the effectiveness of pre-grouting of shafts utilizing deep slimline boreholes and incorporating wireline technique for drilling and conventional deep borehole grouting techniques for pre-cementation.
Increase the safety of shaft sinking operation
Minimize water and gas inflow during shaft sinking
Minimize the time lost due to additional grouting operations during sinking of the shaft and hence minimize costly delays and standing time of shaft sinking crews and equipment.
Provide detailed information of the geology of the proposed shaft site. Informations on anomalies, dykes, faults as well as reef (gold bearing conglomerates) intersections can be obtained from the evaluation of cores of the pre-cementation boreholes.
Provide improved rock strength for excavations in the immediate vicinity of the shaft area.
The paper describes pre-cementation techniques recently applied successfully from surface and some conclusions drawn for further considerations.
KeywordsDrilling Ordinary Portland Cement Water Inrush Costly Delay Cement Slurry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dietz, H.K.O. (1982), Grouting Techniques Used in Deep South African Mines, Conference in Grouting in Geotechnical Engineering, ASCE, New Orleans, February, ppGoogle Scholar
- 2.Du Bois, H.L.W. (1978), High Pressure Grouting in Deep Gold Mines, SIAMOS-1978, Granada, September,Google Scholar
- 3.Heinz, W.F. (1985), Diamond Drilling Handbook, Published by the South African Drilling Association, SeptemberGoogle Scholar
- 4.Heinz, W.F. (1987), The Art of Grouting in Tunneling, Proceedings, South African National Committee on Tunneling, (SANCOT), Seminar on Management of Underground ConstructionGoogle Scholar
- 5.Heinz, W.F. (1983), “Tube-a-Manchette: Description and Applications”, Proceedings, Symposium on Grouting, Johannesburg.Google Scholar
- 6.Muller, D.S. and Spence, R. “Pre-grouting of Shafts at Western Deep Levels Limited, The Civil Engineer in South Africa, August 1960Google Scholar
- 7.Smit, N.J. and Lain, M.J. (1984), Pre-cementation Boreholes, Drilling News, MarchGoogle Scholar