Effect of the type of linkage between phenyl groups on the structure and photochemical properties of 2,2-diaryl-substituted pyridoannelated [2H]-chromenes
Three 2,2-diaryl-substituted pyridoannelated [2H]-chromenes have been studied by X-ray diffraction analysis. Bonding of the benzene rings through bridges of different nature and with different length affects substantially the orientation of the benzene rings, steric interactions at the C center, the conformation of the molecule, and the C−O bond length. A correlation between the photocolorability of chromenes under study and the orientation of the benzene rings with respect to the C−O bond, which provides different prerequisites to stabilization of the C(1)-centered, cation formed upon cleavage of the C−O bond, was established. The effect of the orientation of the benzene rings on the dark reaction of ring closure was found.
Key wordschromenes X-ray diffraction analysis photochemistry in solutions structure-property relationship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Aldoshin, I. Chuev, O. Filipenko, V. Lokshin, J.-L. Pozzo, G. Pepe, and A. SamatActa Crystallogr., 1996,C52, 1537.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Aldoshin, I. Chuev, A. Utenyshev, V. Lokshin, A. Samat, G. Pepe, and R. GuglielmettiActa Crystallogr., 1997, in press.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Aldoshin, I. Chuev, A. Utenyshev, V. Lokshin, J.-L. Pozzo, G. Pepe, and R. Guglielmetti,Acta Crystallogr., 1995,C51, 141.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Aldoshin, I. Chuev, A. Utenyshev, O. Filipenko, V. Lokshin, J.-L. Pozzo, and R. Guglielmetti,Acta Crystallogr., 1996,C52, 1834.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Harie,PhD Thesis, Universite d'Aix-Marseille II, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.S. M. Aldoshin,Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., 1987,149, 251.Google Scholar
- 8.N. L. Allinger and Young Yuh,Molecular Mechanics. MM2 and MMP2 programs, QCPE-395, 1977.Google Scholar
- 9.G. M. Sheldrick,Program for Crystal Structure Determination, University of Cambridge, England, 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.G. M. Sheldrick,Program for the Refinement of Crystal Structures, University of Gottingen, Germany, 1993.Google Scholar