Speciation of mercury compounds by gas chromatography with atomic emission detection. Simultaneous optimization of a headspace solid-phase microextraction and derivatization procedure by use of chemometric techniques
- 144 Downloads
A method is proposed for the extraction and determination of organomercury compounds and Hg(II) in seawater samples by headspace solid-phase microextraction (HS-SPME) combined with capillary gas chromatography-microwave-induced plasma atomic emission spectrometry. The mercury species were derivatized with sodium tetraphenylborate, sorbed on a polydimethylsiloxane-coated fused-silica fibre, and desorbed in the injection port of the GC, in splitless mode.
Experimental design methodology was used to evaluate the effect of six HS-SPME-derivatization vairables: sample, volume, NaBPh4 volume, pH, sorption time, extraction-derivatization temperature, and rate of stirring. Use of a multicriterion decision-making approach, with the desirability function, enabled determination of the optimum working conditions of the procedure for simultaneous analysis of three mercury species.
Key WordsGas chromatography Headspace Solid phase microextraction Speciation Seawater Mercury
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carro, A.M.; Lorenzo, R.A.; Cela, R.LC-GC Int. 1998,16, 926–936.Google Scholar
- Hight, S.C.; Capar, S.G.J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 1983,66, 1121–1128.Google Scholar
- Hight, S.C.; Corcoran, M.T.J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 1987,70, 24–30.Google Scholar
- Pawliszyn, J.Solid-Phase Microextraction: Theory and Practice, Wiley-VCH, New York,1997.Google Scholar
- Bayona, J.M.Organometallic Speciation by Combining Aqueous Phase Derivatization with SPME-GC-FPD-MS, inApplications of Solid Phase Microextraction, Pawliszyn, J. Ed., RSC Chromatography Monographs, Cambridge,1999, p. 284.Google Scholar
- Cai, Y.; Monsalud, S.; Furton, K.G.; Jaffé, R.; Jones, R.D.Appl. Organomet. Chem. 1998,12, 55–569.Google Scholar
- Lewis, G.A.; Mathieu, D.; Phan-Tan-Liu, R.Pharmaceutical Experimental Design, Drugs and the Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol. 92, Marcel Dekker, New York,1999 pp. 247–293.Google Scholar
- Pawliszyn, J.Application of Solid-Phase Microextraction, RSC Chromatography Monographs, RSC, Cambridge,1999.Google Scholar
- Hu, G.L.; Wang, X.R.; Wang, Y.R.; Chem, X.; Jia, L.Anal. Lett. 1997,30, 2579–2594.Google Scholar
- Cai, Y.; Bayona, J.M.J. Chromator. Sci. 1995,33, 89–97.Google Scholar
- Carro, A.M.; Neira, I.; Lorenzo, R.A.; Cela, R.7th Int. Conf. Chemometrics in Analytical Chemistry, Antwerp, Belgium, October 16–20,2000.Google Scholar
- Statgraphics Plus Version 6.0, Reference Manual, Manugistics, Rockville, MD,1992.Google Scholar
- Nemrod for Windows Version 2000, LPRAI, University of Marseille III, Marseille.Google Scholar
- Harrington, E.C.Ind. Qual. Control 1965,21, 494–498.Google Scholar
- Derringer G.; Suich, R.J. Qual. Technol. 1980,12, 214–219.Google Scholar
- Miller, J.N.; Miller, J.C.Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry, 4th edn, Prentice Hall-Pearson Education, Harlow, UK,2000, pp. 107–150.Google Scholar