Simultaneous determination of benzene and total aromatic fraction of gasoline by HPLC-DAD
- 234 Downloads
A new method is described for the simultaneous determination of benzene and the total aromatic fraction in gasoline by HPLC coupled with a diode array detector (DAD). The detection wavelength of 205 nm was selected on the basis of the UV spectra of benzene, its homologues and interfering compounds, obtained by diode array detector. The use of this wavelength plays an important role in minimizing positive interference from trace compounds, which have a strong absorbance at 254 nm, the typical wavelength at which aromatics are detected.
To develop the method a standard solution of seven aromatics compounds was used (benzene, toluene, ortho-, meta- and para-xylenes, ethyl-benzene and 1,3,5-trimethyl-benzene), each at 5% v/v in hexane to simulate the behavior of a gasoline with 35% v/v of total aromatics.
The sensitivity of this method to benzene is in the range of 2×10−3% v/v. This method was also applied to a gasoline with a known percentage of benzene and total aromatics and proved quite accurate.
Key WordsColumn liquid chromatography Gasoline Benzene Total aromatic fraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Portolani, A.; Ruffin, D.Enciclopedia della Chimica 1978,8, 419, 438, 443, 444.Google Scholar
- IARC,Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans 1982,29, 93.Google Scholar
- ACGIH,TLVs: Threshold Limit Values and Biological Exposure Indices for 1995–1996.Google Scholar
- Deutsche Forrschungsgemeinschaft. Commission for the Investigation of Health Hazards of Chemical Compounds in the Work Area,Maximum Concentrations and Biological Tolerance Values at the Workplace 1994, Report n.30.Google Scholar
- Wallace, J.,Environ. Health Persp. 1996,104, supplement 6.Google Scholar
- Gilli, G.; Scursatore, E.; Bono, R.Environ. Health Persp. 1996,104, Supplement 6.Google Scholar
- Kuzyaeva, V.V.; Kulikov; V.I.; Markevich, S.V.J. of Anal. Chem. URSS 1982, 111–117.Google Scholar
- ASTMD 3606,1982, 379.Google Scholar
- ASTM D 4053,1981, 625.Google Scholar
- Steinmetzer, H.GIT Fachz Lab. 1980,24, 95.Google Scholar