Micellar liquid chromatography of polyaromatic hydrocarbons using anionic, cationic, and nonionic surfactants: Armstrong model, LSER interpretation
The capacity factorsk of 28 polycromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) were determined by micellarliquid chromatography (CLM) in several mobiles phases containing anionic (SDS), cationic (CTAB), or non-ionic(Brij 35) surfactants. The micelle-water binding constantsK MW were calculated via the Armstrong theory. Linear solvation energy relationship (LSER) were used to correlatek andK MW with the PAHs solvatochromic descriptors. LSER correlation was convenient fork. were The most important factors appeared to be the size and basicity of the PAHs. In the retention of the PAHs, their volume interacted positively and their basicity negatively. LSER correlation ofK MW was relatively poor due to the difficult and complex transfer PAHs from water to the micelles. The volume and basicity strongly influenced theK MW, depending on the surfactant. With SDS or Brij 35, the PAH size increasedK MW whereas its basicity decreasedK MW. The opposite was observed with CTAB.
Key WordsColumn liquid chromatography Micellar Liquid Chromatography Armstrong Model Linear Solvation Energy Relationship Polycromatic Hydrocarbons
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Khaledi, M.G.Biochromatogr. 1988,3, 20.Google Scholar
- Dorsey, J.G.Biochromatogr. 1987,2, 13.Google Scholar
- Berry, J.P.; Weber, S.G.J. Chromatogr. Sci. 1987,25, 307.Google Scholar
- Lavine, B.K.; Hendayana, S.J. Liq. Chrom. & Rel. Technol. 1996,19, 101.Google Scholar
- Lopez-Lopez, D.; Rubio-Barroso, S.; M. Polo-Diez, L.J. Liq. Chromatogr. 1995,18, 2397.Google Scholar
- Rodriguez Delgado, M.A.; Sanchez, M.J.; Gonzalez, V.; Garcia Montelongo, F.J. Liq. Chrom. & rel. technol. 1996,19, 187.Google Scholar
- Taft, R.W.; Abraham, M.H.; Famini, G.R.; Doherty, R.M.; Abboud, J.M.; Kamlet M.J.J. Pharm. Sci. 1985,74, 807.Google Scholar
- Kamlet, M.J.; Abraham, M.H.; Carr, P.W.; Doherty, R.M.; Taft, R.W.J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. II1988, 2087.Google Scholar