A high-performance liquid chromatographic method for screening angiotensin II receptor antagonists in human urine
- 93 Downloads
A high-performance liquid chromatographic method with photometric detection has been developed for the determination of five angiotensin II receptor antagonists (ARA II): Losartan, Irbesartan, Valsartan, and Candesartan cilexetil and its metabolite Candesartan M1. Reversedphase chromatography was performed at room temperature on a μBondapak C18 column; compounds were separated by gradient elution with mixtures of acetonitrile and 0.1 M acetate buffer, pH 4, at different flow rates. Detection was at 254 nm. Urine samples were purified by solid-phase extraction on C8 cartridges, a procedure enabling recoveries > 85% for all the drugs except Candesartan cilexetil (71%). The analysis time was less than 50 min, including extraction (chromatographic analysis lasted 25 min). Intra- and inter-day coefficients of variation for all the compounds were below 8% and the method was highly accurate (relative error,RE, usually ca 3%). The accuracy, precision, and sensitivity (limit of quantitation 0.4 μg mL−1) of the method were sufficient for application to the screening of these ARA II in spiked urine samples.
Key wordsColumn liquid chromatography Angiotensin II receptor antagonists Screening Urine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- McVeigh, G.E.; Flack, J.; Grimm, R.Drugs 1995,49, 161.Google Scholar
- Weber, M.A.J. Hypertens. 1997,15 (Suppl. 6), 31.Google Scholar
- Ménard, J.; Chatellier, G.; Azizi, M.J. Human Hypertens. 1997,11 (Suppl. 2), 1.Google Scholar
- Smith, R.D.; Chiu, A.T.; Wong, P.C.; Herblin, W.F.; Timmermans, P.B.M.W.M.Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 32, 132 (1992).Google Scholar
- Goa, K.L.; Wagstaff, A.J.Drugs 1996,51(5), 820.Google Scholar
- Gillis, J.C.; Markham, A.Drugs 1997,54(6), 885.Google Scholar
- Markham, A.; Goa, K.L.Drugs 1997,54(2), 299.Google Scholar
- Farthing, D.; Sica, D.; Fakhry, I.; Pedro, A.; Gehr, T.W.B.J. Chromatogr. B 1997,704, 374.Google Scholar
- Chang, S.Y.; Whigan, D.B.; Vachharajani, N.N.; Patel, R.J. Chromatogr. B. 1997,702, 149.Google Scholar
- Sioufi, A.; Marfil, F.; Godbillon, J.J. Liq. Chromatogr. 1994,17(10), 2179.Google Scholar
- Miyabayashi, T.; Okuda, T.; Motohashi, M.; Izawa, K.; Yashiki, T.J. Chromatogr. B 1996,677, 123.Google Scholar