Determination of the oil content of seeds by focused microwave-assisted soxhlet extraction
- 358 Downloads
Soybean, rape and sunflower lipids have been extracted with a focused microwave-assisted Saxhlet extractor. The main factors affecting extraction efficiency, namely microwave irradiation power, number of cycles and microwave irradiation time were optimised by means of a power, number of cycles and microwave irradiation time were optimised by means of a central composite design based on a two-level-three-factor factorial design. A study of the influence of particle size on the extraction procedure was also performed. The results obtained were compared with those obtained by use of an ISO method using a conventional Soxhlet extractor. Quantitative results for lipid content based on gravimetric determinations and qualitative results based on analysis of fatty acid methyl esters and polymeric compounds were similar to those obtained by Soxhlet extraction with hexane. Substantial reduction of sample manipulation. analysis time and solvent wastage is achieved by use of the proposed method.
Key WordsMicrowave-assisted Soxhlet extraction Lipid extraction Oleaginous seeds Factorial design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carpenter, D.E.; Ngeh-Ngwainbi, J.; Lee, S.Lipid Analysis, in Methods of Analysis for Nutrition Labeling, AOAC International, Arlington, VA, 1993, p. 85.Google Scholar
- García-Ayuso, L.E.; Luque de Castro, M.D.Sem. Food Anal. 1999,4, 39.Google Scholar
- National Academy of Sciences, Nutritional Labeling: Issues and Directions for the 1990s, Report of the Committee on the Nutrition Components of Food Labeling, Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, National Research Council, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1990.Google Scholar
- Saccomandi, V.Off. J. Eur. Comm. 1990,276, 40.Google Scholar
- Sheppard, A.J.. Lipid Manual, Methodology Suitable for Fatty Acid-Cholesterol analysis, Wm. C. Brown Publishers, Dubuque, IA, 1992.Google Scholar
- Federal Register,1993,58, 631.Google Scholar
- Snyder, J.M.; King, J.W.; Jackson, M.A.J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 1997,74, 585.Google Scholar
- García-Ayuso, L.E.; Velasco, J.; Dobarganes, M.C.; Luque de Castro, M.D.,Int. Dairy J. in press.Google Scholar
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 659, 2nd edn, February 15, 1988.Google Scholar