Determination of methyl-and ethylmercury compounds using gas chromatography atomic fluorescence spectrometry following aqueous derivatization with sodium tetraphenylborate
- 195 Downloads
An analytical procedure is described for the determination of methylmercury and ethylmercury compounds in fish and sediment samples, using gas chromatography atomic fluorescence spectrometry following aqueous phenylation with sodium tetraphenylborate. The derivatization products were identified by gas chromatography mass spectrometry. The advantages of using phenylation with sodium tetraphenylborate over ethylation with sodium tetraethylborate are discussed. The validation of the analytical procedure was performed by analyzing standard reference material (DORM-2). Applications for the analysis of fish and sediment samples were carried out and compared to other techniques.
Key WordsGas chromatography Atomic fluorescence spectrometry detection Methylmercury and ethylmercury Sodium tetraphenylborate Fish and sediment samples
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clarkson, W.T.Environmental Health Perspect. 1992,100, 31.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization, Mercury-Environmental Aspects Geneva, 1989.Google Scholar
- Graig, P.J.. InOrganometallic Compounds in the Environment 1986, 66. P.J. Craig, Ed., Longman, Harlow, UK.Google Scholar
- US EPA, Mercury Study Report to Congress, EPA-452/R-97-005, December 1997.Google Scholar
- Bulska, E.; Emteborg, H.; Baxter, C.D.; Frech, W.; Elligsen, D.; Thomassen Y.Sci. Technol. 1997,117, 657.Google Scholar
- Hintelmann, H.; Hemple, M.; Wilken, R.D.Environ. Sci. Technol. 1995,29, 1845.Google Scholar
- Wang, X.; Hu, G.; Wang, Y.Analytical Letter 1997,30, 2579.Google Scholar
- Cai, Y.; Monsalud, S.; Jaffe, R.; Jones, R.J. Chromatogr. A. In press.Google Scholar
- Cai, Y.Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry in press.Google Scholar
- Cai, Y.; Tang, G.; Jaffe, R.; Jones, R.Intern. J. Environ. Anal. Chem. 1997,68, 331.Google Scholar