Sequential solid-phase extraction with cyanopropyl bonded-phase cartridges for trace enrichment of PCBs and chlorinated pesticides from water samples
- 79 Downloads
Gas chromatography of polychlorinated biphenyls and chlorinated pesticides in water samples has been performed after adsorption from a 50–250 mL sample on to a cartridge containing 100 mg cyanopropyl-bonded porous silica. The PCBs are desorbed with 500 μL ethyl acetate, which is concentrated and analysed by gas chromatography with electron-capture detection (GC-ECD).
The average recovery of 1 ppb PCB congeners at from distilled water and from Marta river water is ≥95% (standard deviation ≤2.5). The average recovery of 20 ppb Aroclor 1260 from Marta river water was ≥91% (standard deviation ≤3.5).
In the separation of the PCBs from the chlorinated pesticides only aldrin, heptachlor and 4,4′-DDD are adsorbed with the PCBs by the CN Sep-Pak cartridge. The method proposed is rapid, simple and reproducible.
Key WordsGas chromatography Solid-phase extraction (SPE) Polychlorobiphenyls Chlorinated pesticides Organochlorine separation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Cairs, E.G. Siegmund, Anal. Chem.53, 1183A (1991).Google Scholar
- J.T. Borlakoglu, R.R. Dils, Chem. Brit. 815 (1991).Google Scholar
- S. Jensen, New Scientist32, 612 (1996).Google Scholar
- O. Hutzinger, S. Safe, V. Zitko, The Chemistry of PCBs, CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA (1974) p. 1.Google Scholar
- B. Larsen, S. Bowadt, R. Tilio, Int. J. Environ. Anal. Chem.47, 47 (1992).Google Scholar
- O. Hutzinger, S. Safe, V. Zitko, The Chemistry of PCBs, CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA (1974) pp. 202–206.Google Scholar
- N. Smodlaka, M. Devescovi, I. Ivancic, J. Etud. Pollut. Mar. Mediterr.5, 43 (1980).Google Scholar
- M. Picer, N. Picer, Ocean. Sci. Eng.8, 63 (1983).Google Scholar
- B.A. Pedersen, G.M. Higgins, LC-GC6, 1016 (1985).Google Scholar
- L.K. Marble, J.J. Delfino, Am. Lab.20, 23 (1988).Google Scholar
- M.V. Russo, G. Goretti, A. Soriero, Annali di Chimica86, 115 (1996).Google Scholar