Discussion of thermodynamic data obtained by adsorption gas chromatography of hydrocarbons on a new graphitized carbon black with a high specific surface area
- 30 Downloads
A new graphitized carbon black (Carbograph 5) with a specific surface area (560 m2 g−1) greater than those of commerically available graphitized carbons was studied by gas chromatography to determine the enthalpy, entropy, and free energy of adsorption of a series of alkanes (C2−C6). The adsorption properties were also investigated by considering changes in the isosteric heats and entropies of adsorption when a nonpolar stationary phase (squalane) was added to the adsorbent. The data obtained are discussed and compared with literature values for other graphitized carbon blacks.
Key WordsGas chromatography Graphitized carbon black Adsorbents Thermodynamic data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Mangani, G. Crescentini, F. Bruner, Anal. Chem.531, 627 (1981).Google Scholar
- C. Crescenzi, A. Di Corcia, M. D. Madbouly, R. Samperi, Environ. Sci. Technol.29, 2185 (1995).Google Scholar
- A. Di Corcia, A. Liberti, in J. C. Giddings, E. Grushka, J. Cazes, P. R. Brown, Eds., Advances in Chromatography, M. Dekker, New York and Basel, Vol. 14, 1976, pp. 305–366, and references cited therein.Google Scholar
- F. Bruner, G. Crescentini, F. Mangani, Pure Appl. Chem.61, 1997 (1989).Google Scholar
- F. Bruner, in F. Dondi, G. Guiochon, Eds., Gas Chromatographic Techniques to Elucidate the Working Mechanism of Graphitized Carbon Black-Liquid Modifier-Eluate interaction. Theoretical Advancement in Chromatography and Related Separation Techniques, NATO ASI Series: Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 383, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, 1992, pp. 369–395, and references cired therein.Google Scholar
- A. V. Kiselev, Y. J. Yashin, Gas Adsorption Chromatography, Plenum Press, New York, 1969, p. 120.Google Scholar
- H. Purnell, Gas Chromatography, J. Wiley and Sons, New York, London, Sydney, 1967, p. 205.Google Scholar
- E. Kováts, in F. Bruner (Editor), The Science of Chromatography, A. J. P. Martin Honorary Symposium, Urbino, May 27–31, 1985, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1985, p. 205.Google Scholar
- J. H. De Boer, The Dynamical Character of Adsorption, Oxford University Press, London, 1953.Google Scholar
- F. Mangani, B. Capacoioni, in N. P. Cheremisinoff P. N. Cheremisinoff (Editors), Handbook of Advanced Materials Testing, M. Dekker, New York, Basel, Hong Kong, 1995, p. 259.Google Scholar
- B. Capaccioni, M. Martini, F. Mangani, Bull. Vulcanol.56, 593 (1995).Google Scholar