Profiling propolis flavonoids by means of micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography, capillary gas chromatography and bactericidal action
- 133 Downloads
There is no proportional correlation between increasing organic solvent polarity from hexane to methanol and the extractability of propolis solids by the solvents or the bactericidal action of the propolis extracts obtained. Hexane (17.7%) and chloroform (62.1%) were the poorest and the best extractants, respectively, for propolis solids. The antibiotic activity of the extracts againstStaphylococcus strains decreased in the order hexane≥ethanol>methanol. Different capillary GC profiles were obtained for persilyl derivatives of propolis extracted with hexane and methanol and for propolis collected in different Brazilian provinces, suggesting the influence of flora variability on propolis composition. Wavelength-selected DAD detection revealed MEKC to be an innovative and sensitive method for monitoring the occurrence in propolis of the flavonoids and phenolcarboxylic acids thought to be responsible for the antimicrobial activity of propolis.
Key WordsMicellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography Gas chromatography Propolis flavonoids Phenolcarboxylic acids Antibiogram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Szente, L.; Szejtli, J.Acta Pharm. Technol. 1987,33(4), 218.Google Scholar
- Bogdanov, S.J. Apicult. Res. 1989,28(1), 55.Google Scholar
- Houghton, P.J.; Woldemariam, T.Z.; Davy, W.; Basar, A.; Lou, C.Phytochem. Anal. 1995,6, 207.Google Scholar
- Grange, J.M.; Davey, R.W.J. Roy. Soc. Med. 1990,83, 159.Google Scholar
- Park, Y.K.; Koo, M.H.; Ikgaki, M.; Contado, J.L.Arq. Biol. Tecnol. (Brazil) 1997,40(1), 97.Google Scholar
- Marcucci, M.C.Apidologie 1995,26, 83.Google Scholar
- Bauer, A.W.; Perry, D.M.; Kirby, W.M.M.Arch. Int. Med. 1959,104, 208.Google Scholar
- Lanças, F.M.; Fontana, J.D.; Barbirato, M.A.; Ruggiero, M.A.; Passos, M.; dos Santos, M.A.R.; Fontana, C.K.; Oliveira, B.H.; Schause, L.; Pontarolo, R.J.Braz. Chem. Soc. In press.Google Scholar
- Kedzia, B.; Seppert, B.; Iwaszkiewicz, I.Phytothérapie 1990,6, 7.Google Scholar