Clinicopathologic evaluation of mucin-producing tumor of the pancreas
- 24 Downloads
We studied the diagnostic problems, surgical management, and histopathologic characteristics of 28 patients with intra-ductal tumors and mucinous cystadenomas of the pancreas who underwent surgical resection. Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) and endoscopic retrograde pancreatography (ERP) were the most useful means for confident diagnosis of the diseases. New diagnostic modalities, including intra-pancreatic ductal endoscopy and intraductal ultrasonography, also improved the qualitative diagnosis of these tumors. Minimally invasive surgery i.e., duodenum-and choledochus-preserving resection of the head of the pancreas, was conducted in our patients. The long-term results were good and no patients had disease recurrence. Although these diseases are regarded as precancerous lesions of the pancreas, there were several unclear points regarding biologic behavior and the correlation with invasive cystadenocarcinoma. Thus, a molecular biological explanation concerning the roles of oncogenes such asp53 and Ki-ras in carcinogenesis is an important question that remains to be resolved.
Key wordsintraductal tumors of the pancreas mucinous cystadenoma of the pancreas p53 duodenum-preserving resection of pancreas head
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Japan Pancreas Society (1996) Classification of pancreatic carcinoma. Kanehara, Tokyo, pp 29–33Google Scholar
- 2.Yanagisawa A, Katoh Y, Sugano H, Ohashi K, Takekoshi T, Takagi K (1984) Classification of the pancreatic cyst with atypical epithelium (in Japanese). Tan to Sui (J Bil Pancreas) 5:1079–1085Google Scholar
- 3.Hsu SM, Raine L, Fanger H (1982) The use of avidin-biotin-peroxidase complex (ABC) in immunoperoxidase techniques: A comparison between ABC and unlabeled antibody (PAP) procedures. J Histochem Cytochem 29:495–497Google Scholar
- 4.Ikeda S, Maeshiro K, Kuroda Y, Miyazaki R, Yoshimoto H, Shimura H, Tanaka M, Furuta K, Watanabe H (1990) Diagnostic accuracy of balloon ERP-compression study in mucus-producing pancreatic lesion (in Japanese) I to Cho (Stomach and Intestine) 25:175–187Google Scholar
- 5.Nakasako T, Imaizumi T, Harada N, Hattori T, Fukuda A, Ozawa F, Suzuki T, Tenma N, Hanyu F, Takasaki K, Toki F, Kozu T (1995) Therapeutic strategy for mucin-producing pancreatic disease: Surgery or follow-up? (in Japanese with English abstract) Suizo (J Jpn Pancr Soc) 10:272–279Google Scholar
- 6.Maguchi H, Obara T, Fujii T, Tanno S, Itoh A, Ura H, Nishino N, Arisato S, Takahashi K, Yamano M (1995) Diagnostic imaging of intraductal papillary adenoma and hyperplasia of the pancreas (in Japanese). Tan to Sui (J Bil Pancr) 16:71–79Google Scholar
- 9.Okushiba S, Ikenaga H, Okushiba O, Douke M, Takahashi T, Motohara T, Kato H (1996) Operation for small lesion of the pancreas head: Duodenum-preserving resection of the head of the pancreas (in Japanese). Geka Chiryo (Surgical Therapy) 74:875–882Google Scholar