Comparison of extracted skeleton patterns of human femur and humerus using the line skeleton operation process and skeleton operation process
This study presents and compares trabecular skeletal patterns of human femoral and humeral bone extracted by applying mathematical morphology and morphological filters. Two morphological filters and skeleton processing operations were used to extract the skeleton images. Images obtained with a combination of the single disc-shaped structuring element (5 pixel diameter) and the skeleton operation were compared to images obtained with the line structuring element and the line skeleton operation. Seven dentomaxillofacial radiologists evaluated the resulting images. Line skeleton images (both subset and sumset images) had fewer trabecular elements extracted and higher discontinuity as the operation number increased, and there were obvious differences between the simple skeleton images and the line skeleton images. With more study these differences may be useful in detecting changes in trabecular patterns resulting from disease, stress or altered function.
Key WordsImage processing Sketal structure Bone trabecular Digital image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Inoue, E. and Ogawa, K.: Analysis of trabecular patterns using fractal dimensions.Record of Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference 3: 1493–1496, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2).Kumasaka, S., Matsuki, T., Kashima, I., Miyagi, A., Sakai, N. and Shindou, J.: Morphological filter for the computer aided diagnosis of medical images of bone disease.The Bulletin of Kanagawa Dental College 24: 83–85, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5).Kumasaka, S., Asai, H., Fujikawa, T. and Kashima, I.: Skeletal pattern extraction of lumbar vertebra and femur trabeculae using mathematical morphology.J Japanese Soc Bone Morphom. 8: 139–144, 1998 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 6).Shirose, Y., Kumasaka, S., Kashima, I.: Application of mathematical morphology to trabecular bone.J Japanese Soc Bone Morpho. 8: 119–128, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8).Serra, J.:Image analysis and mathematical morphology. Vol. 1. pp. 1–610, 1982, Jovanoyich B.H., Academic Press, Tokyo, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 9).Serra, J.:Image analysis and mathematical morphology, Vol. 2, pp. 1–411 Theoretical advances, 1988, Jovanoyich B.H., Academic Press, Tokyo, London.Google Scholar
- 10).Jin, H.R., Matumoto, K., Kobatake, H.: Automatic diagnosis of breast cancer by cancer structure line analysis and mathematical morphology.Radiology 11: 319, 1990.Google Scholar