A quantitative comparison of foliage development among allopatric ferns,Dryopteris crassirhizoma, D. coreano-montana andD. filix-mas
- 41 Downloads
A quantitative comparison was conducted on the foliage development during sporophyte development of three allopatric ferns in cool temperate and subalpine regions of Hokkaido and Tirol, European Alps. The foliage development ofDryopteris crassirhizoma, D. coreano-montana andD. filix-mas was quantitatively described by the leaf development (NV, number of veins); NV correlates the leaf-shape complexity from a circle (DI, L/2(3.14×S)1/2). Nearly similar patterns were detected on frequency distribution of fertile leaves, fertility increase and number of leaves in threeDryopteris ferns which exhibit funnel-shaped foliage arrangements in mature sporophyte. No difference was found in number of leaves, maximum NV, fertility rate and leaf-shape parameters among three ferns. A positive difference was found only on changes in order of pinnae with maximum number of costa branches (NVP) and the DI of outline of pinnae betweenD. crassirhizoma andD. filix-mas. These allopatricDryopteris ferns seem to have a similar foliage structure, in spite of some sympatricDryopteris ferns capable of producing putative hybrids (D. austriaca andD. amurensis; D. tokyoensis andD. monticola) having different foliage structures in Hokkaido.
Key wordsallopatric ferns Dissection index Dryopteris ferns Foliage structure Outline of blade
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Grant, P.R. 1972. Convergent and divergent character displacement. Biol. J. Linn. Soc.4: 39–68.Google Scholar
- Hegi, G. 1984. Illustrierte Flora von Mittleuropa. Pteridophyta Spermatophyta Band I Pteridophyta. Verlag Paul Parey, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Nishida, M. 1972. an outline of the distribution of Japanese ferns.In. A. Graham, ed., Floristic and Paleofloristic of Asia and Eastern North America, pp. 101–105, Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- — 1985c. Comparative life history ofDryopteris amurensis andDryopteris austriaca during sporophyte development in northern Japan. Jap. J. Ecol.35: 425–432.Google Scholar
- — 1986. Inter-specific comparison of the life history of threeArachniodes ferns in Hokkaido. Acta Phytotax. Geobot.37: 42–56.Google Scholar
- — 1987. Geographical topocline and stability of leaf characteristics ofPolystichum tripteron in Japan with refeence to venation and leaf-shape. Acta Phytotax. Geobot.38: 359–379 (In Japanese with English summary).Google Scholar
- — 1988. Seasonal dynamics of leaf-shape and leaf-size in plant foliage. Sci. Form3: 73–77.Google Scholar
- Tagawa, M. 1959. Coloured Illustrations of the Japanese Pteridophyta. Hoikusha, Osaka (In Japanese).Google Scholar