Formation of the nuclear envelope during mitotic anaphase inSpirogyra
- 61 Downloads
The formation of the nuclear envelope in the mitosis ofSpirogyra was studied with an electron microscope. The nuclear envelope was disrupted around the spindle equator in the metaphase. Many small vesicles were observed in the metaphase spindle. These vesicles surrounded the masses of chromosomes and nucleolar substance in the early anaphase, and they fused with each other to form daughter nuclear envelopes during the early anaphase. The formation of new envelopes from small vesicles at such an early mitotic anaphase is reported here for the first time. The possible origin of these vesicles is also discussed.
Key wordsMitosis Nuclear envelope Spirogyra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dawes, C.J. 1965. An ultrastructure study ofSpirogyra. J. Phycol.1: 121–127.Google Scholar
- Fowke, L.C. andJ.D. Pickett-Heaps. 1969. Cell division inSpirogyra. 1. Mitosis. J. Phycol.5: 240–259.Google Scholar
- Fuller, M.S. 1967. Mitosis in fungi. Int. Rev. Cytol.45: 113–153.Google Scholar
- Godward, M.B.E. andE.G. Jordan 1965. Electron microscopy of the nucleolus ofSpirogyra britannica andSpirogyra ellipsospora. J. Royal Microscop. Soc.84: 347–360.Google Scholar
- Heath, I.B. 1980. Variant mitoses in lower eukaryotes: Indicators of the evolution of mitosis. Int. Rev. Cytol.64: 1–70.Google Scholar
- Raikov, I.B. 1973. Mitose intranucleaire acentrique du micronoyan deLoxodes magnus, Cilie, Holotriche. Etude ultrastucturale. C.R. Acad. Sci. Ser. D276: 2385–2393.Google Scholar
- Suganuma, Y. 1969. Electron microscope studies on the mitosis of binary fission of micronucleus of the ciliate,Urostyla. J. Nara Med. Assoc.20: 323–335.Google Scholar
- Tutumi, T. andK. Ueda. 1975. A cytochemical study on polysaccharides in cells ofMicrasterias americana. Cytologia40: 113–118.Google Scholar