Imaging Mn2+ Uptake of a maize shoot by an NMR microscope
- 33 Downloads
Distribution maps of free water in germinating maize shoots were measured by an NMR microscope, and localization of water was assigned by superimposing1H-NMR micro-images on opital micrographs. In order to know physiological difference among tissues of the shoot, Mn2+, a strong paramagnetic reagent was applied on imaging. Change of the images affected by Mn2+ suggested that cell activity was higher in the first leaf than the other parts of the shoot of a 3 days old seedling.
Key wordsCell activity Image analysis Mn2+ uptake NMR microscope Zea mays
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clegg, J.S. 1979. Metabolism and the intracellular environment: The vicinal-water network model.In W. Drost-Hansen and J.S. Clegg, ed., Cell-associated Water, pp. 363–413. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Connelly, A., J.A.B. Lohman, B.C. Lougman, H. Quiquampoix andR.G. Ratcliffe 1987. High resolution imaging of plant tissues by NMR. J. Expt. Bot.38 1713–1723Google Scholar
- Farrar, T.C. andE.D. Becker 1971. Measurement ofT 1. In Pulse and Fourier Transform NMR; Introduction to Theory and Method, pp. 20–22. Academic Press, New York and London.Google Scholar
- Hazlewood, C.F. 1979. A view of the significance and understanding of the physical proporties of cell-associated water. In W. Drost-Hansen and J.S. Clegg ed., Cell-associated Water, pp. 165–259. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Ishida, N., H. Kano, H. Hayashi andH. Ogawa 1991. NMR micro-imaging of plant tissue. Analytical Sciences7(suppl.): 817–820.Google Scholar
- Koizumi, M., N. Ishida, H. Takagishi, K. Shirata andH. Kano 1992. Observation of water and Na+ in tissues of theBruguiera gymnorrhiza by1H- and23Na-NMR imaging. Bot. Mag. Tokyo105: 1–11.Google Scholar
- Listerud, J.M., S.W. Sinton andG.P. Drobny 1989. NMR imaging of materials. Analytical Chem61: 23A-41A.Google Scholar