Successive observations on the fertilization of a centric diatomMelosira moniliformis var.octagona
- 63 Downloads
The details of fertilization in the centric diatom,Melosira moniliformis var.octagona, were examined by light microscopy with a video system. The sperm penetrated into the egg cell through a temporary opening of the oogonium. The flagellum of the sperm was brought into the egg cell and it remained active for a few minutes. Three observations on the behavior of the sperm and egg cell during fertilization are shown.
Key wordsCentric diatom Fertilization Melosira Sexual reproduction Sperm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bischoff, H.W. and H.C. Bold. 1963. Phycological Studies. IV. Some Algae from Enchanted Rock and Related Algal Species. Univ. Texas Publ. No. 6318. 95 pp.Google Scholar
- —. 1972. The life history of the centric diatomBacteriastrum hyalinum Lauder. Nova Hedwigia Beih.39: 95–110.Google Scholar
- —. 1977a. Sexuality.In D. Werner, ed., The Biology of Diatom, pp. 250–283. Black-well Scientific Publications, Oxford.Google Scholar
- —. 1977b. Cell structure, cell division, sexual reproduction ofAttheya decora West (Bacillariophyceae, Biddulphiineae). Nova Hedwigia Beih.54: 167–178.Google Scholar
- Migita, S. 1967a. Sexual reproduction of centric diatomSkeletonema costatum. Bull. Jap. Soc. Sci. Fish.33: 392–397 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- —. 1967b. Sexual reproduction ofMelosira moniliformis Agardh. Bull. Fac. Fish. Nagasaki Univ.23: 123–133 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Mizuno, M. 1977. Sexual reproduction ofMelosira sp. from Oshoro Bay, Hokkaido. Bull. Jap. Soc. Phycol.25, Suppl.: 149–157.Google Scholar
- Provasoli, L. 1968. Media and prospects for the cultivation of marine algae.In A. Watanabe and A. Hattori, ed, Culture and Collections of Algae, pp. 63–75. Proc. U.S.-Japan Conf. Hakone. Sep. 1966. Jap. Soc. Pl. Physiol.Google Scholar
- Wordeman, L., K.L. Mcdonald andW.Z. Cande. 1986. The distribution of the cytoplasmic microtubules throughout the cell cycle of the centric diatomStephanopyxis turris: their role in nuclear migration and positioning the mitotic spindle during cytokinesis. J. Cell Biol.102: 1688–1698.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar