Respiratory activity in rice seedlings germinated under strictly anaerobic conditions
- 61 Downloads
Rice seedlings germinated for up to 96 hr from the imbibition under strictly anaerobic conditions had a certain level of respiratory activity, though less than that of aerobic controls. Nitro-BT positive particles were recognized in coleoptile cells of these seedlings. Respiratory activity in shoots from these seedlings showed a marked rise after exposure to air.
KeywordsRice Seedling Respiratory Activity Seminal Root Anaerobic Treatment Marked Rise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fieser, L.F. 1957. Experiments in Organic Chemistry. 3rd ed. Revised, p. 299, D.C. Heath and Company, Boston.Google Scholar
- Fujisawa, H. 1965. Stimulation of rice coleoptile elongation by reduced oxygen supply. Mem. Coll. Sci. Univ. Kyoto (B)32: 1–7.Google Scholar
- Marcus, A. 1969. Seed germination and the capacity for protein synthesis.In: H.W. Woolhouse, ed., Symposia of the Society for Experimental Biology, No. 23, Dormancy and Survival, pp. 143–160, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- —,M. Salpeter, J. Saltzgaber, W. Rouslin andG. Schatz. 1971. Promitochondria of anaerobically-grown yeast, Evidence for their conversion into functional mitochondria during respiratory adaptation.In: N.K. Boardman, A.W. Linnane, and R.M. Smillie, ed., Autonomy and Biogenesis of Mitochondria and Chloroplasts, pp. 175–184, North-Holland, Amsterdam-London.Google Scholar
- Ranson, S.L. andB. Parija. 1955. Experiments on growth in length of plant organs. II. Some effects of depressed oxygen concentrations. J. Exp. Bot.6: 80–93.Google Scholar
- Slonimski, P.P. 1953. La Formation des Enzymes Respiratoires Chez la Levure, Actualités Biochimiques, No. 17, Masson et Cie, Paris.Google Scholar
- Tsuji, H. 1968. Effect of anaerobic condition on the dry weight decrease of germinating rice seeds. Bot. Mag. Tokyo81: 233–242.Google Scholar
- — 1969. Rise in oxygen uptake during air-adaptation of anaerobically treated rice seedlings. Bot. Mag. Tokyo82: 226–238.Google Scholar
- Wada, S. 1961. Growth patterns of rice coleoptiles grown on water and under water. Sci. Rep. Tohoku Univ. 4th Ser. (Biol.)27: 199–207.Google Scholar
- ——,B. Veitch andA.W. Linnane. 1971. Mitochondrial precurosors in anaerobically grown yeast.In: N.K. Boardman, A.W. Linnane, and R.M. Smillie, ed., Autonomy and Biogenesis of Mitochondria and Chloroplasts, pp. 162–174, North-Holland, Amsterdam-London.Google Scholar