Changes of peripheral blood lymphocyte subsets in a long-term survivor with advanced renal cell carcinoma
- 20 Downloads
We present the case of an 11-year survivor with advanced renal cell carcinoma (T4N2M1). This patient received long-term interferon-alpha (IFN-α)-based immunotherapy. Measurement of peripheral blood lymphocyte subsets suggested that reduction of the IFN-α dose might be associated with a marked increase of cytotoxic T cells, suppressor T cells, activated suppressor/cytotoxic T cells, and natural killer cells among the peripheral blood lymphocytes.
Key wordsrenal cell carcinoma immunotherapy interferon-alpha peripheral blood lymphocyte subsets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kobayashi Y, Yuzawa M, Sugaya Y, Kikuchi T, Morita T, Tokue A. Changes of lymphocyte subpopulation in advanced renal cell carcinoma patients with marked response to α-interferon therapy. Jpn J Urol 1994;85:1380–1387.Google Scholar
- 4.Saitoh H, Takahashi N, Suzuki T, Kogawa T, Miura H. Interferon (IFN) therapy of renal cell carcinoma patients and changes of peripheral blood lymphocyte subsets. J Jpn Soc Cancer Ther 1995;30:956–966.Google Scholar
- 5.von Rohr A, Ghosh, AK, Thatcher N, Stern PL. Immunomodulation during prolonged treatment with combined interleukin-2 and interferon-alpha in patients with advanced malignancy. Br J Cancer 1993;67:163–171.Google Scholar
- 11.Onishi T, Machida T, Masuda F, Hatano T, Shirakawa H, Natori T, Hamamoto M, Matsuoka Y. Assessment of tumour-infiltrating lymphocytes, regional lymph node lymphocytes and peripheral blood lymphocytes and their reaction to interferon-gamma in patients with renal carcinoma. Br J Urol 1991;67:459–466.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Atzpodien J, Kirchner H, Korfer, A, Hadam M, Schomburg A, Menzel T, Deckert M, Franzke A, Volkenandt M, Dallmann I, Grosse J, Poliwoda H. Expansion of peripheral blood natural killer cells correlates with clinical outcome in cancer patients receiving recombinant subcutaneous interleukin-2 and interferon-α-2. Tumor Biol 1993;14:354–359.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Kimura M, Koida T. Changes of lymphocyte subsets with post-operative chemotherapy for breast carcinoma—a study using two color analysis. Jpn J Cancer Chemother 1989;16:2621–2625.Google Scholar
- 17.Tsukagoshi S. A new antitumor drug with immunomodulating activity, Ubenimex (Bestatin). Jpn J Cancer Chemother 1987;14:2385–2391.Google Scholar