Morphological studies on the genusClematis linn. VIII. Floral and inflorescence anatomy inClematis patens with eight-sepaled flowers
The vascular anatomy of inflorescence axes and flowers ofClematis patens have been studied. The species shows a unique behaviour of the vascular bundles in the transition node from vegetative stem to pedicel: stelar bundles increase in number from six to eight as they ascend through the transition node so that the number of vascular bundles coincides with that of sepals. In the pedicel stele the resulting eight bundles are disposed opposite to eight sepals. respectively; each sepal receives its vascular supply from the bundle facing it. Morphological and anatomical evidence suggests that the calyx of eight sepals in this species should be interpreted as having consisted originally of four pairs of opposite organs, rather than as having been derived secondarily through chorisis of sepals from a calyx of four sepals as seen in most other species ofClematis.
Key wordsClematis Floral anatomy Nodal anatomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brouland, M. 1935. Recherches sur l'anatomie florale des Renonculacées. Botaniste27: 1–252.Google Scholar
- Eichler, A.W. 1875. Blütendiagramme. Wilhelm Engelmann, Leibzig.Google Scholar
- Leppik, E.E. 1960. Evolutionary differentiation of the flower head of the Compositae. Arch. Soc. Fenn. “Vanamo”14: 162–181.Google Scholar
- Smith, E.P. 1928. A comparative study of the stem structure of the genusClematis, with special reference to anatomical changes induced by vegetative propagation. Trans. Roy. Soc. Edinb.55: 643–664.Google Scholar
- Tobe, H. 1976. Morphological studies on the genusClematis Linn. III. Floral anatomy ofClematis tosaensis Makino. Sci. Rep. Tôhoku Univ., Ser. IV (Biol.)37: 105–116.Google Scholar
- — 1979. Morphological studies on the genusClematis Linn. IV. Vascular anatomy of the inflorescence axis, with some consideration of the evolution of the floral shoot with simple axillary inflorescences. Bot. Mag. Tokyo92: 197–215.Google Scholar
- — 1980a. Morphological studies on the genusClematis Linn. V. Vascular anatomy of the calyx region in four-sepaled flowers. Bot. Mag. Tokyo93: 39–54.Google Scholar
- — 1980b. Morphological studies on the genusClematis Linn. VI. Vascular anatomy of the androecial and gynoecial regions of the floral receptacle. Bot. Mag. Tokyo93: 125–133.Google Scholar
- Trapl, S. 1912. Morphologische Studien über den Bau und das Diagramm der Ranuncula-ceenblüte. Beih. Bot. Zbl.28: 247–281.Google Scholar