Neochilenin, a new glycoside of 3-O-methylquercetin, and other flavonols in the tepals ofNeochilenia, Neoporteria andParodia species (Cactaceae)
- 63 Downloads
3-O-Methylated flavonols were isolated as crystals for the first time from the flowers ofNeochilenia, Neoporteria andParodia species belonging to the sub-family Cereoideae (Cactaceae), which are native to South America. The structures of three compounds were confirmed by chemical and spectral means. In the tepals of 7 species ofNeoporteria, 3-methyl ether of quercetin was found in the form of aglycone, whereas it was present as the 7-O-glucoside in the tepals ofParodia sanguiniflora and as the 4′-O-glucoside in the tepals of three species ofNeochilenia. Among those two glucosides of quercetin 3-methyl ether, the former has been found in a whole plant ofArtemisia transiliensis (Compositae), while the latter is new to the literature. Therefore, the term “neochilenin” may be assigned to this new pigment.
Key wordsCactaceae Flavonols Neochilenia spp. Neochilenin Quercetin 3-methyl ether derivatives
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Backeberg, C. 1966. “Das Kakteenlexilon”. Gustav Fischer Verlag, Jena.Google Scholar
- Chumbalev, T.K., O.V. Fadeeva andI.S. Chanysheva. 1969. Flavonoid ofArtemisia transiliensis II. A new flavonol glycoside, transilin. Khim. Prir. Soedin5: 236–239 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- — andC.A. Williams. 1982. Flavone and flavonol glycosides.In: J.B. Harborne and T.J. Mabry, ed., The Flavonoids, Advances in Research p. 288. Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- Hörhammer, L., H. Wagner, H. Arndt undL. Farkas. 1966. Isolierung und Synthese zweier Flavonol-glykoside vonCereus grandiflorus Mill. Chem. Ber.99: 1384–1387.Google Scholar
- Iwashina, T., S. Ootani, T. Gotoh andN. Kondo. 1982 Distribution of flavonol glycosides in the sub-family Cereoideae and some chemotaxonomic consideration thereof. Sci. Rep. Res. Inst. Evolut. Biol.1: 83–102 (in Japanese with English summary).Google Scholar
- Mabry, T.J., K.R. Markham andM.B. Thomas. 1970. The systematic identification of flavonoids p. 3–164. Springer-Verlag, London.Google Scholar