Mobilization of storage reserves duringCyathea delgadii spore germination
- 53 Downloads
The majority of spores ofCyathea delgadii germinate during the first seven days after imbibition under constant white light. The fresh weight remains constant from day 0 to day 7, but the dry weight decreases. Lipids constitute about 43% of the weight of spores (day 0). There is a drastic reduction in the amount of lipids from day 0 to day 14. Proteins, soluble sugars, reducing sugars and starch increase from day 0 to day 14.
Key wordsCyathea delgadii Lipids Proteins Starch Storage reserves Sugars
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- — andP.A. Stetler. 1985. Mobilization of storage reserves during fern spore germination. Proc. R. Soc. Edinb.86B: 195–202.Google Scholar
- Dyer, A.F. 1979. The culture of fern gametophytes for experimental investigation.In A.F. Dyer, ed., The Experimental Biology of Ferns, pp. 253–305. Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- — 1980. Developmental changes in microbody enzyme activities in germinating spores of the fernPteris vittata. Z. Pflanzenphysiol.97: 153–160.Google Scholar
- Nelson, N. 1944. A photometric adaptation of the Somogyi method for the determination of glucose. J. Biol. Chem.153: 375–380.Google Scholar
- Raghaven, V. 1977a. Gibberellic acid-induced germination of spores ofAnemia phyllitidis: autoradiographic study of the timing and protein synthesis in relation to cell morphogenesis. J. Cell Sci.23: 83–100.Google Scholar
- — 1977b. Cell morphogenesis and macromolecule synthesis during phytochrome-controlled germination of spores of the fernPteris vittata. J. Exp. Bot.28: 439–456.Google Scholar
- Shannon, J.C. 1968. A procedure for the extraction and fractionation of carbohydrates from immatureZea mays kernels. Res. Bul.842: 1–8.Google Scholar
- Snedecor, G.N. 1962. Statistical Methods. Iowa State Univ., Ames.Google Scholar
- — 1985. Mobilization of carbohydrates during germination of spores ofOnoclea sensibilis L. Proc. R. Soc. Edinb.86B: 203–212.Google Scholar