Modal test and analysis of cantilever beam with tip mass
- 321 Downloads
The phenomenon of dynamic stiffening is a research field of general interest for flexible multi-body systems. In fact, there are not only dynamic stiffening but also dynamic softening phenomenon in the flexible multi-body systems. In this paper, a non-linear dynamic model and its linearization characteristic equations of a cantilever beam with tip mass in the centrifugal field are established by adopting the general Hamilton Variational Principle. Then, the problems of the dynamic stiffening and the dynamic softening are studied by using numerical simulations. Meanwhile, the modal test is carried out on our centrifuge. The numerical results show that the system stiffness will be strengthened when the centrifugal tension force acts on the beam (i.e. the dynamic stiffening). However, the system stiffness will be weakened when the centrifugal compression force acts on the beam (i.e. the dynamic softening). Furthermore, the equilibrium position of the system will lose its stability when the inertial force reaches a critical value. Through theoretical analysis, we find that this phenomenon comes from the effect of dynamic softening resulting from the centrifugal compression force. Our test results verify the above conclusions and confirm that both dynamic stiffening and softening phenomena exist in flexible multi-body systems.
Key wordsflexible multibody system centrifugal field inertial force dynamic stiffening dynamic softening
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lee SY, Kuo YH. Bending frequency of a rotating beam with an elastically restrained root.J of Applied Mechanics, 1991, 58: 209–214Google Scholar
- 3.Jiang LZ, Hong JZ. Dynamics of an elastic beam in large overall motion.Chinese J of Comu Mech, 1998, 15(4): 407–413 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.Hong JZ, Jiang LZ. Dynamic stiffening and multibody dynamic with coupled rigid and deformation motions.Chinese J of Comu Mech, 1999, 16(3): 295–301 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 5.Jiang LZ, Hong JZ. Study on the cause of dynamic stiffening of flexible multibody system.Chinese J of Comu Mech, 1999, 16(4): 403–409 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Xiao SF, Chen B. Modeling and bifurcation analysis of internal cantilever beam system on a steadily rotating ring.Science in China, Series A, 1997, 27(10): 911–916 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Xiao SF, Chen B. Mechanical behavior research of cantilever beam in centrifugal field. In: Chen Bin ed. Study of Dynamics, Vibration and Control. Changsha: Hunan University Press, 1998 (in Chinese)Google Scholar