Application of color Doppler ultrasonography to ulcerative colitis
- 40 Downloads
We used color Doppler ultrasonography (US) to evaluate bowel wall thickening in ulcerative colitis and to determine the value of this modality in this application. Twelve patients (6 men and 6 women) with ulcerative colitis underwent both gray-scale and color Doppler US. Bowel wall thickness and wall echotexture were recorded by gray-scale US, and the presence of intramural color Doppler flow and arterial signal were evaluated by color Doppler US. Color Doppler flow was graded as ‘weak’ or ‘abundant’, and resistive index was calculated; clinical severity of disease activity was also graded, and serum CRP level was measured. Variation in serum CRP levels and intramural color Doppler flow according to clinical severity, and the correlations between serum CRP levels and the number of blood flow signals were statistically significant. In 10 of the 12 patients, analysis of the Doppler waveform showed an arterial blood flow signal, and mean resistive index value was determined to be 0.550. We thus conclude that information provided by gray-scale and color Doppler US is useful in evaluating bowel wall thickening in ulcerative colitis.
Keywordscolor Doppler ultrasonography ulcerative colitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2).Worlicek H, Lutz H, Heyder N, et al: Ultrasound findings in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis: a prospective study.J Clin Ultrasound 1990;18: 161–166.Google Scholar
- 3).Hata J, Haruma K, Suenaga K, et al: Ultrasonographic assessment of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Gasroenterology (Tokyo) 1991;15: 385–390. [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 4).Shirahama M, Koga T, Ishibashi H, et al: Sonographic features of ulcerative colitis. Jpn J Med Ultrasonics 1992;19: 692–698. [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 5).Matsuura S, Awaya S, Higaki S, et al: Endosonographic diagnosis of early colon cancer and ulcerative colitis. Shokakinaishikyo 1993;5: 177–182. [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 7).Yamada H, Sumioka M, Nagata S, et al: Use of a miniature ultrasonic probe system to diagnose ulcerative colitis. Jpn J Med Ultrasonics 1997;24: 1617–1622. [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 8).Hiwatari N: Proposed standards for the diagnosis of ulcerative colitis, Ministry of health and Welfare (Japan), Research Team for the Study of Bowel Damage Resulting from Intractable Refractory Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Annual Research Report 1993; 1994; 90–92. [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 14).Mochizuki M, Tsuda T, Wakasa H: Integrated handbook of internal medicine (inflammatory bowel disease). Tokyo, Nakayama-shoten, 1992; 54–63. [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 15).Mizooka M, Yamada H, Hirata K, et al: Evaluation of transabdominal ultrasonography in 27 cases of transient ischemic colitis. Jpn J Med Ultrasonics 1996;23: 3–7. [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 16).Fujii Y, Hata J, Hamada T, et al: Ultrasonographic diagnosis of ischemic colitis: comparison of ultrasonographic and colonoscopic findings. Jpn J Med Ultrasonics 1998;25: 619–624. [in Japanese]Google Scholar