Right hepatic lobectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma which developed in primary biliary cirrhosis: Report of a case
- 50 Downloads
The case of a 74-year-old female patient who underwent a right hepatic lobectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) which developed in primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) is reported herein. During a follow-up examination for Parkinson’s disease, an elevation of hepatobiliary tractrelated enzymes and α-fetoprotein was uncovered. Diagnostic imagings showed a hypervascular, solitary, and encapsulated tumor measuring about 7 cm in diameter located mainly in the posterior segment. Positive antimitochondrial and antinuclear antibodies and a preoperative liver biopsy strongly suggested well differentiated HCC developed in PBC (Scheuer’s classification stage II). Since the natural prognosis of PBC estimated by the Mayo risk score was fairly good and the liver function indicated sufficient tolerance for major hepatic resection, and preoperative computed tomography (CT) volumetry showed the atrophy of the right hepatic lobe, a right hepatic lobectomy was performed. A pathological examination revealed well encapsulated, moderately differentiated HCC with, in part, well-differentiated HCC in the tumor and stage II PBC in the noncancerous region. CT volumetry performed at postoperative day 14 showed a 146% enlargement of the remnant liver. An early detection of HCC and PBC by strict screening would prevent a limitation of surgical therapy due to a deteriorated liver function.
Key Wordshepatocellular carcinoma primary biliary cirrhosis right hepatic lobectomy postoperative volumetry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Hata K, Nagayama S, Hatakeyama S, Ohkoshi S, Hatano T, Hayakawa A, Nomoto M, Ichida T, Aoyagi Y, Kamimura T (1992) A case of hepatocellular carcinoma in primary biliary cirrhosis positive for anti-HCV (in Japanese with English abstract). Kanzo (Acta Hepatol Jpn) 53:167–173Google Scholar
- 6.Yano Y, Tsuji H, Kawatoko T, Fujishima M, Matsumata T, Yasunaga C, Sueishi K (1993) A case of hepatocellular carcinoma associated with HCV antibody-positive primary biliary cirrhosis, treated with established surgical resection (in Japanese with English abstract) Kanzo (Acta Hepatol Jpn) 34:37–41Google Scholar
- 9.Nagamatsu R (1994) A case of resection of hepatocellular carcinoma associated with primary biliary cirrhosis (in Japanese). Eizo-Joho 26:993–995Google Scholar
- 12.Liver Cancer Study Group of Japan (1992) The General Rules for the clinical and Pathological Study of Primary Liver Cancer, 3rd edn. Kanehara, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 18.Shimahara Y, Yamamoto N, Kobayashi N, Yamaoka Y (1996) Anterior approach to dorsal short hepatic and right hepatic veins in a right hepatic lobectomy. Arch Jpn Chir 65:13–21Google Scholar