Postoperative management following massive hepatectomy in a patient with Dubin-Johnson syndrome: Report of a case
- 78 Downloads
We report herein the case of a 46-year-old man with Dubin-Johnson syndrome (DJS) who was referred to our hospital to undergo a right hepatic lobectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma. His complicated postoperative conjugated hyperbilirubinemia was successfully treated by hemopurification based on the increased level of serum hepatocyte growth factor (HGF). It is considered that hemopurification based on the early postoperative HGF levels has beneficial effects for patients with DJS; however, the specific role of hemopurification in the conjugated hyperbilirubinemia that develops postoperatively in these patients has not been determined.
Key WordsDubin-Johnson syndrome hepatocellular carcinoma hepatic lobectomy hepatocyte growth factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wallnofer H, Schmidt E, Schmidt FW (1977) Functional hyperbilirubinemia. Diagnosis of liver diseases Thieme, Stuttgart New York, pp 26–264Google Scholar
- 2.Arias IM (1979) Explanations of jaundice in hepatocellular diseases. In: Davidson CS (ed) Problems in liver diseases. Stratton New York, pp 1–13Google Scholar
- 10.Nakamura S, Morioka S, Baba S, Maeda M, Muro H (1984) Massive hepatic resection for metastatic cancer associated with Dubin-Johnson syndrome (in Japanese with English abstract). Nippon Geka Gakkai Zasshi (J Jpn Surg Soc) 84:135–140Google Scholar
- 12.Sano S, Nakagawa T, Horie S, Hasegawa I, Makise H, Oikawa T, Iwanaga R, Nakanishi Y, Kobayashi H, Fukazawa Y, Kondo N, Yoshiki T, Ito T (1988) A resected case of primary liver cancer with liver cirrhosis accompanied with Dubin-Johnson syndrome (in Japanese). Sapporo Byoin Ishi 48:27–31Google Scholar
- 13.Mori I, Imamura K, Kitamura T, Irie J, Shigematsu K (1991) A case of Dubin-Johnson syndrome complicated by hepatocellular carcinoma (in Japanese). Rinsho to Kenkyu 68:153–156Google Scholar
- 14.Kajikawa S, Horigome N, Hanasaki K, Shiohara E, Kin Y, Iida F, Tanaka E, Kiyosawa K, Furuta S (1993) Two cases of Dubin-Johnson syndrome associated with chronic hepatitis, type C and hepatocellular carcinoma (in Japanese with English abstract). Kanzo (Acta Hepatol Japon) 34:161–165Google Scholar
- 15.Yakushiji H, Miyazaki K, Kitahara K, Isen A, Tsutsumi N, Hisatsugu T, Sakai T, Sasatomi E, Tokunaga K (1995) A case of double cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma and primary male breast cancer associated with Dubin-Johnson syndrome (in Japanese). Kan Tan Sui 30:729–733Google Scholar