Measurement of time-dependent strains of concrete
- 194 Downloads
The present recommendation defines a method for measuring the time-dependent strain in hardened concrete specimens that are either load-free or are subjected to a uniform compressive force kept constant over a long period. It states the definitions of autogenous shrinkage and drying shrinkage, basic creep and drying creep, instantaneous strain at a given age, and recovery. It gives the specifications for testing and measuring devices and describes, in an appendix, three types of apparatus for creep tests. The present recommendation applies to the case of concretes containing light, normal, and heavy aggregates, when the maximum size of these aggregates does not exceed 50 mm.
KeywordsShrinkage Creep Test Autogenous Shrinkage Shrinkage Strain Instantaneous Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- RILEM/CPC 12 Recommendation, ‘Strain Measurement under Compressive Loading—Conventional Calculation of Creep’, 1st Edition, June 1983.Google Scholar
- ASTM Standard Test Method ‘Creep of Concrete in Compression’, designation: C512-87, July 1987.Google Scholar
- ACI Committee 209, ‘Prediction of creep, shrinkage and temperature effects in concrete structures’, designation: ACI 209 R-92 (1992).Google Scholar
- Acker, P., ‘Creep Tests of Concrete: Why and How?’, invited BRITE-EURAM Lecture, in “Creep and Shrinkage of Concrete”, Proceedings of the 5th International RILEM Symposium, ConCreep 5, Barcelona, Spain (Chapman & Hall, London, 1993) 3–14.Google Scholar
- Alvaredo, A.M., Wittmann, F.H., ‘Shrinkage as influenced by strain softening and crack formation”, in “Creep and Shrinkage of Concrete”,Ibid. 103–113.Google Scholar
- ‘Material Models for Structural Creep analysis’, Proceedings of the Fourth RILEM International Symposium on Creep and Shrinkage of Concrete, Evanston, Illinois, USA (North University Press, 1986), Bažant, Z.P. (ed), 80–232.Google Scholar
- Bažant, Z.P., Wittmann, F.H., Kim, J.K., Alou, F., ‘Statistical extrapolation of shrinkage data—Part I: Regression’,ACI Materials Journal 34 (1987) 20–34.Google Scholar
- Bažant, Z.P., Wittmann, F.H., Kim, J.K., Alou, F., ‘Statistical extrapolation of shrinkage data—Part II,Ibid. 83–91.Google Scholar
- Boulay, C., Patiès, C., ‘Mesure des déformations du béton au jeune âge,Ibid. 26 (159) (1993) 308–314.Google Scholar
- Kovler, K., ‘Shock of evaporative cooling of concrete in hot dry climates’,Concrete International 17 (10) (1995) 65–69.Google Scholar