Sonographic features of mucus-producing carcinoma of the gallbladder
- 71 Downloads
Few cases of mucus-producing carcinoma of the gallbladder have been reported; accordingly, sonographic features of this entity have not been well described. We discuss two cases of gallbladder carcinoma with marked secretion of mucus that we followed using ultrasound. Acute cholecystitis in these cases resulted from obstruction of the cystic duct by the copious secretion of mucus. Ultrasonography revealed debris-like echoes floating in the lumen of the gallbladder with buoyant migration. Mucus appeared as highly echoic smoke-like or cloud-like masses. Color flow imaging showed no vascularity. The mucus echoes disappeared spontaneously between attacks of cholecystitis. A surgical specimen showed a tumor associated with abundant mucous in the gallbladder. We conclude that mucus-producing carcinoma of the gallbladder should be considered when numerous smoke-like echoes appear in the gallbladder. An accurate diagnosis can be obtained by careful observation using ultrasonography.
Keywordsacute cholecystitis debris echo mucus-producing carcinoma of the gallbladder ultrasonography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Ishibashi H, Hachisuka K, Yamaguchi A, et al: Mucin producing carcinoma—report of a case. Journal of Biliary Tract and Pancreas 1986;7: 1173–1178.Google Scholar
- 2).Yoshida K, Nonaka M, Uchida R, et al: A case of mucin producing early gallbladder carcinoma which can be detected before surgery. Diagnostic Imaging of the Abdomen 1988;8: 135–142.Google Scholar
- 3).Hayashi T, Nagasue N, Taniura H, et al: A case report of gallbladder carcinoma with obstructive jaundice caused by mucin production. The Japanese Journal of Gastroenterological Surgery 1988;21: 139–142.Google Scholar
- 4).Hayashi N, Komori Y, Hayashi R, et al: Mucin-producing carcinoma of the gallblader: report of a case. Gastroenterological Endoscopy 1990;32: 2001–2006.Google Scholar
- 5).Ozeki Y, Matsubara N, Saiga T, et al: Mucin-producing carcinoma of the gallblader: report of a case. Gastroenterological Endoscopy 1991;33: 2439–2444.Google Scholar
- 6).Hisai H, Araya E, Nobuta O, et al: A case flat type, mucin-producing early gallbladder carcinoma with difficulty in preoperative diagnosis. Journal of Biliary Tract and Pancreas 1995;16: 173–178.Google Scholar
- 7).Kasturagawa H, Takasaki K, Tsugita T, et al: A case of mucus-producing gallbladder carcinoma presenting cholecystitis. Surgery 1995;5: 597–600.Google Scholar
- 8).Hughes O.D.M., Haray P.N., Williams I.M., et al: Carcinoma of the gall-bladder producing mucous obstruction of the common bile duct: a cautionary note. J R Coll Surg Edimb 1997;42: 280–282.Google Scholar
- 9).Nakamura Y, Nakazawa S, Inui K, et al: Clinical concepts of mucin producing pancreatic tumors. Journal of Biliary Tract and Pancreas 1997;18: 625–629.Google Scholar