Hypothalamic and rate feedback in the thyroid hormone regulation system: An hypothesis
- 64 Downloads
Several alternative models of the system regulating the plasma concentration of thyroid hormones are presented and investigated from the point of view of certain optimal system performance indices. The models differ from each other in the number and types of feed-back pathways. Various combinations of thyroid hormone feedback actions at pituitary and/or hypothalamic chemoreceptor sites, having proportional and/or rate characteristics, are considered in terms of minimum energy consumption and minimum sensitivity to the maximum number of model parameters likely to vary. It is concluded that the model which includes proportional inhibitory feedback of thyroid hormone at the hypothalamic level and rate feedback of thyroid hormone at the level of the pituitary provides the best performance.
KeywordsThyroid Hormone Gain Factor Minimum Energy Consumption Feedback Control System Rate Feedback
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown-Grant, K. 1967. “The Control of Thyroid Secretion”.J. Clin. Path., Suppl.20, 327–332.Google Scholar
- DiStefano, J. J., A. R. Stubberud and I. Williams. 1967.Feedback and Control Systems. New York: Schaum.Google Scholar
- Escobar del Rey, F. and G. Morreale de Escobar. 1964. “The Peripheral Deiodinatation of Thyroid Hormones and Some Metabolic Implications.”Proc. 2d. Intl. Congr. Endocr., London, Experpta Medica Intl. Congr.No.83, pp. 1151–1167.Google Scholar
- Reichlin, S. 1966. “Control of Thyrotropic Hormone Secretion”. InNeuroendo-crinology, L. Martini and W.F. Ganong, Eds. New York: Academic Press, pp. 445–536.Google Scholar
- Robbins, J. and J. E. Rall. 1967 “The Iodine Containing Hormones”. InHormones in Blood, Vol.1, 2d. ed., C. H. Gray and A. L. Bacharach, Eds. London: Academic Press, pp. 383–490.Google Scholar
- Yates, F. E. and R. D. Brennan. 1967. “Study of the Mammalian Adrenal Glucocorticoid System by Computer Simulation” Technical Report No. 320-3228, IBM Data Processing Division, Palo Alto, California. (December) p. 37.Google Scholar