The approximation method, relational biology and organismic sets
It is pointed out that the approximation method for diffusion problems, developed by N. Rashevsky in 1937 and successfully used since then by many authors, was in a sense a precursor of relational biology. The connection between the approximation method, relational biology, and the theory of organismic sets, developed in a series of recent papers by N. Rashevsky, is discussed. A number of conclusions known to hold experimentally, are then derived from relational considerations and some of them are applied to organismic sets.
KeywordsBinary Relation Circadian Clock Functional Relation Mathematical Biophysics Relational Force
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carlson, A. J. and Johnson, V. 1953.The Machinery of the Body. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Conroy, M. F. 1969. “Estimation of Aortic Distensibility and Instantaneous Ventricular Volume in Living Man.”Bull. Math. Biophysics,31, 93–104.Google Scholar
- Karreman, George. 1951. “Contribution to the Mathematical Biology of Excitation with Particular Emphasis on Changes in Membrane Permeability and on Threshold Phenomena.”Bull. Math. Biophysics,13, 189–243.Google Scholar
- Pavlidis, T. 1967a. “A Mathematical Model for the Light Affected System in the Drosophila Eclosion System.”,29, 781–791.Google Scholar
- Rashevsky, N. 1938.Mathematical Biophysics: Physicomathematical Foundations of Biology. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- 1960.Mathematical Biophysics. Physicomathematical Foundations of Biology. Third Edition, 2 Vols. New York: Dover Publications, Inc.Google Scholar
- 1964.Some Medical Aspects of Mathematical Biology. Springfield, Ill.: Charles C. Thomas, Publishers.Google Scholar
- 1967b. “Organismic Sets and Biological Epimorphism.”,29, 389–393.Google Scholar
- 1967c. “Physics, Biology and Sociology: II. Suggestion for a Synthesis.”.29, 643–648.Google Scholar
- Rashevsky, N. 1968b. “Neurocybernetics as a Particular Case of General Regulatory Mechanisms in Biological and Social Organisms”.Concepts de l’age de la Science, No. 4.Google Scholar
- Roston, S. 1959. “Mathematical Formulation of Cardiovascular Dynamics by Use of the Laplace Transform.”,21, 1–11.Google Scholar