Pore structure and frost durability of clay bricks
- 155 Downloads
The interrelationships among pore structure, saturation coefficient and moisture saturation behaviour of burnt clay brick specimens made from two different raw materials and fired to different temperatures are discussed. From these relationships an evaluation method for the forst resistance of clay bricks based on the continuous and the total porosity obtained from mercury intrusion porosimetry is presented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fagerlund, G., ‘The Significance of Critical Degrees of Saturation at Freezing of Porous and Brittle Materials’, in ACI Publication SP-47 (1975) pp. 13–64.Google Scholar
- 2.van der Velden, J. H., ‘Weathering and frost testing of structural ceramics’,Ziegelindustrie Int. No. 1 (1983) 18–26.Google Scholar
- 3.Vincenzini, P., ‘Some laboratory tests used to foresee the frost behavior of ceramic building materials’,Ceramurgia 4(3) (1974) 176–188.Google Scholar
- 4.Ravaglioli, A., ‘Evaluation of the frost resistance of pressed ceramic products based on the dimensional distribution of pores’,Trans. J. Br. Ceram. Soc. 75(5) (1976) 92–95.Google Scholar
- 5.Nakamura, M., Togaya, T. and Okuda, S., ‘Effect of dimensional distribution of pores in porous ceramics on frost resistance under one dimenstional cooling’,Yogyo-Kyokai-Shi 85 (11) (1977) 549–554.Google Scholar
- 6.Maage M., ‘Frost resistance and pore size distribution in bricks’,Mater. Struct. 17 (101) (1984) 345–350.Google Scholar
- 7.Robinson, G. C., ‘The relationship between pore structure and durability of brick’,Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 63 (2) (1984) 295–300.Google Scholar
- 8.Kung, J. H., Hansen, W. and Storer-Folt, J. P., ‘Modified saturation coefficient for fast and accurate prediction of frost resistance of clay bricks’,Mater. Struct. Google Scholar
- 9.Kung, J. H., ‘Frost durability study of Canadian clay bricks-II. Characterization of raw materials and burnt bricks’,J. Durability Bldg Mater.Google Scholar
- 10.Winslow, D. N. and Diamond, S., ‘A mercury porosimetry study of the evolution of porosity in Portaland cement’,J. Mater. 5(3) (1970) 564–585.Google Scholar
- 11.Kung, J. H., ‘Frost durability of clay bricks-evaluation criteria and quality control’, in Proceedings of the CBAC/DBR Manufacturers Symposium, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, 1984.Google Scholar