Congenital arteriovenous fistula in the gluteal region —A report of five cases
- 20 Downloads
Five cases of congenital arteriovenous fistula in the gluteal region have been encountered in our department in the past 20 years. In all cases, the fistulous masses were in the connective tissue between the gluteal muscles and well-localized. Preoperative angiography showed the feeding arteries to be the superior gluteal, the inferior gluteal, and/or the lateral femoral circumflex arteries, and all the arteriovenous fistulae were excised almost completely with success. In this report, we emphasize the importance of precise estimation of the feeding arteries on preoperative angiography and ligating them before excising the fistulous masses, to ensure safe surgical treatment.
Key Wordsvascular surgery arteriovenous fistula feeding artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Woollard HH. The development of the principal arterial stems in the forelimb of the pig. Cont Embryol 1922; 14: 139–154.Google Scholar
- 2.Malan E, Puglionisi A. Congenital angiodysplasias of the extremities. J Cardiovasc Surg 1964; 7: 87–130.Google Scholar
- 4.Kamiya K, Tada Y, Maruyama Y, Ueno A. Diagnosis and therapy of congenital arteriovenous fistulas in the extremities. Clin Surg Today 1980; 20: 334–362. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 5.Natali J, Jue-Denis P, Kieffer E, Benihamou M, Tricot JF, Merland JJ, Riche MC. Arteriovenous fistulae of the internal iliac vessels. J Cardiovasc Surg 1984; 25: 165–172.Google Scholar
- 6.Decker DG, Fish CR, Juergens JL. Arteriovenous fistulas of the female pelvis. Amer J Obstet Gynec 1968; 31: 799–805.Google Scholar
- 8.Palmaz JC, New ton TH, Reuter SR, Bookstein JJ. Particulate intraarterial embolization in pelvic arteriovenous malformations. Amer J Radiol 1981; 137: 117–122.Google Scholar
- 10.Yakes WF, Pevsner P, Reed M, Donohue HJ, Ghaed N. Serial embolizations of an extremity arteriovenous malformation with alcoholvia direct percutaneous puncture. Amer J Radiol 1986; 146: 1038–1040.Google Scholar
- 11.Uchiyama N, Arai Y, Shinzato J, Tsuji J, Nagata Y, Touyama K, Shinohara S. A case of sciatic nerve pulsy as a complication of gluteal artery embolization with ethanol. Jpn J Clin Radiol 1984; 29: 997–999. (English Abst.)Google Scholar