Primary malignant thymoma in a-6-year-old boy
Although not uncommon in adults, thymomas are the least common mediastinal tumors in children. The behavior of these tumors in children is partially distinct with a much more rapid course and a poor prognosis. A symptom-free 6-year-old boy was treated for malignant thymoma detected incidentally on a chest X-ray in a school mass examination. At operation, the tumor was found to have already invaded the surrounding tissue. Complete removal at the base of the invasive tumor is the treatment of choice.
Key Wordsmalignant thymoma pediatric occurrence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dehner LP, Martin SA, Summer HW. Thymus related tumors and tumor like lesions in childhood with rapid clinical progression and death. Human Pathol 1977; 8: 53–68.Google Scholar
- 3.Bowie PR, Teixeira OHP, Carpenter B. Malignant thymoma in a nine year old boy presenting with pleuropericardial effusion. J Thoracic Cardiovasc Surg 1979; 77: 77–781Google Scholar
- 4.Schoelzel E, Johnson SB. Thymoma in a young child producing symptoms of asthma. Am J Dis Child 1966; 3: 99–104.Google Scholar
- 5.Deshparde GN, Fisher JE, Jenett TC, Freeman AI. Malignant thymoma in an eight-month-old boy. J Surg Oncol 1981; 18: 61–66.Google Scholar
- 6.Tohyama M, Genga K, Miyagi Y, Sotoma M, Nohara Y. A 7-year-old boy with surgically treated giant thymoma. Nippon Kyobu Rinsho (J Jpn Chest Dis) 1977; 36: 148–153. (English Abst.)Google Scholar
- 7.Sera Y, Kondou H, Harada N, Akagi M. Two case reports of malignant thymoma seen in one infant. Shoni Naika Jpn (J Pediatr Med) 1978; 10: 318–319. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 8.Abe T, Takeuchi K, Watanabe J, Nogawa T, Kimura H, Yui I, Watanabe S. A 12-year-old girl with malignant thymoma. Nippon Shonika Gakkai Zasshi (J Jpn Pediatr Soc) 1985; 89: 996. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 10.Shamji F, Pearson FG, Todd TR, Ginsberg RJ, Ilves R, Cooper JD. Results of surgical treatment for thymoma. J Thoracic Cardiovasc Surg 1984; 87: 43–47.Google Scholar
- 13.Welch KJ, Tapper D, Vawter GP. Surgical treatment of thymic cysts and neoplasmas in children. J Pediatric Surg 1979; 146: 691–698.Google Scholar