Serial determinations of carcinoembryonic antigen for early detection of recurrent gastric cancer
In attempts to predict the recurrence of gastric cancer, postoperative changes in serum carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) levels are monitored in our clinic by radioimmunoassay (Dainabot, Japan). Recurrences are suspected when serum CEA levels are 4 ng/ml, in the postoperative period. Out of 34 patients in whom there were increases in serum CEA, 18 were confirmed to have a recurrence and 15 of these 18 patients were assessed accurately by serial postoperative levels of CEA, two patients died of a recurrence after elevation of serum CEA levels. Thus, recurrence was predicted in 17 out of 34 patients (50 per cent) and in 12 out of 17 patients there was a metastasis to the liver. In 14 out of 34 patients there are no signs of recurrence 9 to 25 months after serum CEA elevations.
Key Wordsgastric cancer recurrence carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zamcheck, N.: Carcinoembryonic antigen; Quantitative variations in circulating levels in benign and malignant digestive tract diseases. Adv. Int. Med. 19: 413–433, 1974.Google Scholar
- 6.Mach, J.P., Jaeger, P., Bertholet, M.M., Ruegsegger, C.H., Loosli, R.M. and Pettavel, J.: Detection of recurrence of large-bowel carcinoma by radioimmunoassay of circulating Carcinoembryonic antigen (C.E.A.). Lancet 2: 533–540, 1974.Google Scholar
- 9.Iwamatsu, M., Saito, Y., Matsuguchi, T., Tamada, R., Soejima, K. and Inokuchi, K.: Early detection of recurrence of gastric cancer by serial plasma Carcinoembryonic antigen assays. Cell. Mol. Biol. 26: 287–291, 1980.Google Scholar
- 11.Laurence, D.J.R., Stevens, U., Bettelheim, R., Darcy, D., Leese, C., Turberville, C., Alexander, P., Johns, E.W. and Munro Neville, A.: Role of plasma Carcinoembryonic antigen in diagnosis of gastrointestinal, mammary and bronchial carcinoma. Brit. Med. J. 3: 605–609, 1972.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Zamcheck, N., Doos, W.G., Prudente, R., Lurie, B.B. and Gottlieb, L.S.: Prognostic factors in colon carcinoma. Human Pathol. 6: 31–45, 1975.Google Scholar