Open mitral commissurotomy for recurrent mitral stenosis after closed commissurotomy
- 18 Downloads
We evaluated the long-term results in 43 patients who had undergone open mitral commissurotomy for recurrent mitral stenosis after closed commissurotomy. There was one operative death (2.3 percent) and one case of reoperation (2.3 percent). Twenty patients (42 percent) were in NYHA Class I and 22 patients (51 percent) in Class II. In 12 randomly selected patients subjected to postoperative cardiac catheterization, the pulmonary arterial mean pressure remained high at rest and increased to 48 mmHg (mean) during exercise with significant differences in patients who underwent open mitral commissurotomy in the first operation (control group). The left atrial mean pressure was significantly high at rest and rose to 27 mmHg (mean) during exercise. The pulmonary vascular resistance also increased during exercise, with significant differences for the control group.
We conclude from these studies that the less satisfactory clinical improvement in patients undergoing reoperation apparently was related to advanced pathology of the mitral valve and development of pulmonary vascular disease.
Key Wordsopen mitral commissurotomy closed mitral commissurotomy reoperation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Grantham RN, Daggett WM, Cosini AB, Buckley MJ, Mundth ED, McEnany MT, Scannell JG, Austen WG. Transventricular mitral valvulotomy. Analysis of factors influencing operative and late results. Circulation 1974; 49 & 50 (Suppl. II): 200–212.Google Scholar
- 6.Rutledge R, McIntosh CL, Morrow AG, Picken CA, Siwek LG, Zwischenberger JB, Schier JJ. Mitral valve replacement after closed mitral commissurotomy. Circulation 1982; 66 (Suppl. I): 162–166.Google Scholar
- 10.Kawashima Y, Nakano S, Sato S, Sakai K, Nakatani T, Hiranaka T, Ohnishi K, Hirose H, Matsuda H, Morisaki H, Mori T, Ohyama C, Kitamura S. Reconstructive surgery for acquired valve disease. Jpn Circul J 1982; 46: 407–414.Google Scholar
- 11.Kawashima Y, Nakano S, Sakai K, Ohyama C, Kitamura S, Mori T, Matsuo H. Long-term results in the patients followed over 5 years after mitral valve surgery. Jpn Circul J 1980; 44: 923–930.Google Scholar
- 16.Nakano S, Kitamura S, Ohnishi K, Hirose H, Ohyama C, Ihara K, Kaku K, Kawachi K, Shimazaki Y, Yagihara T, Sato S, Sakai K, Hata S, Kishimoto H, Kawashima Y, Mori T. Hemodynamic response to exercise in the patients with extreme pulmonary hypertension accompanied by mitral stenosis after open mitral commissurotomy. J Jpn Assoc Thorac Surg 1981; 29: 335–341.Google Scholar