Clinical evaluation of schizophyllan adjuvant immunochemotherapy for patients with resectable gastric cancer —A randomized controlled trial—
- 60 Downloads
Adjuvant immunochemotherapy using schizophyllan (SPG), an extract from the culture broth ofSchizophyllum commune Fries, was prescribed at random for 326 Japanese patients with resectable gastric cancer. The overall survival rates for 3 years did not differ between the SPG and control groups. In 62 patients with stage I gastric cancer and 67 with stage II, there was little difference in the 3-year survival rates. The survival rates for 100 patients with stage III were enhanced at p=0.0811 in the SPG group, as compared to the controls. The survival rates in 97 patients with stage IV cancer were much the same. These results warrant further application of this immunopotentiating drug for treating patients with resectable gastric cancer.
Key Wordsadjuvant immunochemotherapy Schizophyllan SPG gastric cancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kondo T, Inokuchi K, Hattori T, Inoue K, Taguchi T, Akiyama H, Abe O, Ito I, Nakajima T, Muto T, Kikuchi K, Kasai Y, Sugie S, Hayasaka A. Multi-hospital randomized study on the adjuvant chemotherapy with mitomycin-C and futraful for gastric cancer. V. Estimation of five-year survival rate. Jpn J Cancer Chemother 1982; 9: 2016–2024. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 4.Yamamoto T, Yamashita T, Tsubura E. Inhibition of pulmonary metastasis of Lewis lung carcinoma by a glucan, Schizophyllan. Invasion and Metastasis 1981; 1: 71–84.Google Scholar
- 6.Mizuhira V, Shiihashi M, Shibuya K, Amamiya K, Hase T. The fate of3H-SPG administered to sarcoma-180 grafted mice. Electron Microscopy 1980; 2: 382–383.Google Scholar
- 9.Orita K, Mannami T, Miwa H, Ohta T, Nakahara H, Konaga E, Tanaka S. Immunotherapy for advanced gastric cancer and colorectal cancer using BCG cell-wall skelton. Gann Monograph, Cancer Res 1978; 21: 163–171.Google Scholar
- 12.Akao T, Fujimoto S, Itoh B, Kitsukawa Y, Takahashi M, Minami T, Ishigami H, Miyazaki M, Itoh K. Fundamental and clinical studies on antitumor polysaccharide. Jpn J Cancer Chemother 1980; 7: 321–326. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 13.Minami T. Immunological studies on patients with gastrointestinal cancer—with particular emphasis on influence of surgery and immunomodulators—. J Jpn Soc Cancer Ther 1981; 16: 1248–1256. (in Japanese)Google Scholar