A rare case of early carcinoma of the gallbladder
- 15 Downloads
A 38-year-old woman was diagnosed preoperatively to have a benign polyp of the gallbadder with a delineated polypoid mass, as demonstrated with drip infusion cholangiography and ultrasonography. Cholecystectomy was performed. Postoperatively, however, this tumor proved to be an early stage carcinoma of the gallbladder. In the neck of the gallbladder, there was a protruded polypoid elastic tumor of 1.1×0.9 cm in width and 2.5 cm in height. The tumor was supported by a stem of 0.1 cm in diameter and 0.2 cm in height. Hispotopathological examination revealed a well differentiated papillotubular adenocarcinoma, which exhibited no invasion of the stem itself or its basal region. This is a rare case of early carcinoma of the gallbladder (Stage I) which grew only towards the lumen of the gallbladder cavity, and did not invade the wall. Postoperatively, cholecystectomy alone was thought to be sufficient for cure.
Key wordsearly carcionoma of the gallbladder polypoid lesion of the gallbladder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Miyazaki I, Nagakawa T. Evaluation of prognosis of the gallbladder cancer based on “General Rules for Surgical Studies on Cancer of Biliary Tract”, Shokaki-Geka (Gastroenterological Surg) 1982; 5: 207–212. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 9.Vaittinen E. Carcinoma of the gallbladder, A study of 390 cases diagnosed in Finland 1953–1967. Ann Chir Gynaecol Fenn 1970; 168 (Suppl.): 7–81.Google Scholar
- 10.Yokoyama I, Tashiro S, Konno T, Mochinaga M, Nakakura K, Murata E. Current problems on surgical treatment of primary carcinoma of the surigical treatment of primary carcinoma of the gallbladder in Japan. Nihon Shokaki-geka Gakukai Zasshi (Jpn J Gastroenterological Surg) 1980; 13: 1362–1368. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 11.Fahim RB, Ferris DD, McDonald JR. Carcinoma of the gallbladder. An appraisal of its surgical treatment. Arch Surg 1963; 86: 334–341.Google Scholar
- 12.Japanese Biliary Surgical Society: General Rules for Surgical Studies on Cancer of Biliary Tract. Tokyo: Kanehara Shuppan, 1981 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 13.Furusawa T, Nakama T, Nishimura M. Early diagnosis of gallbladder carcinoma—especially in correlation with cholethiasis, Nihon Shokaki-Geka Gakukai Zasshi (Jpn J Gastroenterological Surg) 1976; 9: 151–156. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 15.Tsuchiya Y, Ohto M, Saisho H, Kimura K, Morita M. Imaging diagnosis of the biliary disease. Naika (Internal Medicine) 1982; 49: 423–432. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 16.Tsuchiya Y, Ohto M, Ehara M, Nakano T, Shinagawa T. Percutaneous aspiration biopsy of the gallbladder by ultrasound guidance. Nihon Shokakibyo Gakukai Zasshi (Jpn J Gastroenterology) 1980; 77: 1985. (in Japanese).Google Scholar