Intrahepatic periductal glands and their significance in primary intrahepatic lithiasis
- 23 Downloads
Resected hepatic tissues of 24 patients with primary intrahepatic lithiasis were examined histo-pathologically. Calcium bilirubinate stones, cellular debris and mucinous substances occupied the lumen of large dilated intrahepatic bile ducts. Numerous mucin secreting glands were seen within or around the wall of these bile ducts. Similar structures were demonstrated in two patients with non calculous congenital dilatation of the intrahepatic bile ducts. Cholestasis was often absent in the hepatic parenchyma. Production of intrahepatic gallstones may be caused by not only biliary stasis and infection, but also by intraductal mucin and slow flowing bile in combination with cellular debris, bile pigment and other bile components.
Key Wordsintrahepatic lithiasis periductal gland
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Ong, G. B.: A study of recurrent pyogenic cholangitis. Arch. Surg. 84: 63–89, 1962.Google Scholar
- 9.Mathias, K., Waldmann, D., Daikeler, G. and Kauffmann, G.: Intrahepatic cystic bile duct dilatations and stone formation: A new case of Caroli’s disease. Acta Hepatogastroenterol. 25: 30–34, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.Multidisciplinary conferences in gastroenterology: Fibropolycystic disease of the hepatobiliary system and kidneys. Am. J. Dig. Dis. 21: 1058–1069, 1976.Google Scholar
- 12.Nakamuma, Y., Ohta, G., Nagakawa, T. and Matsubara, F.: Histological studies on the livers with intrahepatic gallstones. Jpn. J. Gastroenterol. 78: 874–882, 1981.Google Scholar
- 25.McCarthy, L.J., Baggenstoss, A.H. and Logan, G.B.: Congenital hepatic fibrosis. Gastroenterology 49: 27–35, 1965.Google Scholar
- 27.Foulk, W.T.: Congenital malformations of the intrahepatic biliary tree in the adult. Gastroentrology 58: 253–256, 1970.Google Scholar
- 31.Moschocowitz, E.: Non-parasitic cyst (congenital) of the liver, with a study of aberrant bile ducts. Am. J. Med. Sci. 131: 674–699, 1906.Google Scholar
- 32.Melnick, P.J.: Polycystic liver. AMA Arch. Surg. 109: 162–172, 1955.Google Scholar