Squamous cell carcinoma in a middle esophageal (parabronchial) diverticulum
- 30 Downloads
The occurrence of carcinoma in an esophageal diverticulum is rare. Among the reported cases, carcinoma in the upper (pharyngoesophageal) diverticulum has the highest incidence, and a malignancy involving the middle (parabronchial) diverticulum is the least frequent. We now report the sixth case of carcinoma arising in the middle esophageal diverticulum after a 12 year follow-up. The importance of follow-up study of esophageal diverticulum is stressed.
Key Wordsesophageal diverticulum esophageal carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hoover, W.B.: Carcinoma associated with esophageal diverticulum. Surg. Clin. N. Amer. 25: 707–712, 1945.Google Scholar
- 4.DeBakey, M.E., Heaney, J. and Creech, O.: Surgical considerations in diverticula of the esophagus. JAMA 150: 1976, 1952.Google Scholar
- 5.Vinson, P.P.: Simultaneous occurrence of multiple lesions in the esophagus. Arch. Otolaryng. 5: 502–506, 1927.Google Scholar
- 6.Sparks, J.V.: Report of a case of pharyngeal diverticulum containing a neoplasm in its wall. Brit. J. Radiol. 6: 233–236, 1933.Google Scholar
- 8.Gawande, A.S., Batiuchock, W., Barman, A.A. and Mule, J.E.: Carcinoma within lower esophageal (epiphrenic) diverticulum. N.Y. ST. J. Med. 72: 1749–1951, 1972.Google Scholar
- 10.Ishida, T., Kojima, T. and Motooka, H.: Frequency and morphological changes in several years of the esophageal diverticula by roentogenological examination. Jpn. J. Clin. Radiol. 25: 35–40, 1980.Google Scholar
- 11.Postlethwait, R.W.: Surgery of the esophagus. Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- 12.Terracol, J. and Sweet, R.H.: Disease of the esophagus. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Co., 1958.Google Scholar