Cyanotic congenital heart disease: Surgical techniques and pitfalls
- 27 Downloads
A review is presented of the currently employed approaches and techniques for the treatment of several forms of cyanotic congenital heart disease. Emphasis is placed on unusual associated defects which require special approaches for management. The question of definitive repair in infancy, as opposed to early palliation and later repair, is particularly pertinent to these conditions. It is evident that considerable progress has been made during the thirty-year evolution of surgery for congenital heart disease, but there are many advances yet to be made.
Key Wordstetralogy pulmonary atresia common ventricle truncus arteriosus conotruncal anomalies pulmonary hypertension anomalous coronary arteries
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Blalock, A., and Taussig, H. B.: The Surgical Treatment of Malformations of the Heart in Which There Is Pulmonary Stenosis or Pulmonary Atresia. J.A.M.A. 128: 189–202, 1945.Google Scholar
- 8.Hikasa, Y., Shirotani, H., Satomura, K., Muraoka, R., Abe, K., Tsushimi, K., Yokota, Y., Miki, S., Kawai, J., Mori, A., Okamoto, Y., Koie, H., Ban, T., Kanzaki, Y., and Yokota, M.: Open Heart Surgery in Infants with an Aid of Hypothermic Anesthesia. Arch. Jap. Chir. 36: 495–508, 1967.Google Scholar
- 9.Horiuchi, T., Koyamada, K., Ishitoya, T., Honda, T., Abe, T., and Sagawa, Y.: Radical Operation Under Hypothermia for Ventricular Septal Defect in Infancy: A Report of 64 Consecutive Cases, J. Cardiovasc. Surg. 8: 85–92, 1967.Google Scholar
- 16.Maloney, J. D., Ritter, D. G., McGoon, D. C., and Danielson, G. K.: Identification of the Conduction System in Patients with Corrected Transposition of the Great Arteries or Common Ventricle at Operation. Mayo Clin. Proc. (in press).Google Scholar
- 17.McGoon, D. C.: Technics of Open Heart Surgery for Congenital Heart Disease. Current Problems in Surgery 3–42, 1968.Google Scholar
- 18.McGoon, D. C., Baird, D. K., and Davis, G. D.: Surgical Management of Large Bronchial Collateral Arteries with Pulmonary Stenosis or Atresia. Circulation (in press).Google Scholar
- 21.Patrick, D. L., and McGoon, D. C.: An Operation for Double Outlet Right Ventricle with Transposition of the Great Arteries. J. Cardiovasc. Surg. 9: 537–542, 1968.Google Scholar